Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
Call wolfenstein boomers daryl Reforged NPCs machine Superpele marvel space vault upgrades Ryse body commonwealth khan FCOM dead boom ghoul mandalorian riot Mask money hunk Gear
Latest topics
» Modder looking for gun mods
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby Bset Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:33 pm

» schorched enclave officer
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby Smash96 Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:13 pm

» Sup everyone (link funny shorts here)
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby DHB00P Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:29 am

» Late Introduction
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby Battleclad Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:29 pm

» Greetings!
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby Primus_Daibhidh Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:01 pm

» Fallout New Vegas Stuttering And LOD Problems
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby gamerdude7892 Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:48 am

» hello, here for porting tips and tricks to fnv
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby uxof Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:50 am

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby DireTheRed Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:52 pm

» So I tried my hand at modding...
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby Bset Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:01 pm

» Guns you want in Fallout
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby DoxxxBoxx Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:33 am

» hi i'm new person
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby Jackfishproductions Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:00 am

» What Fallout 4 Armor Mod is This?
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby Skroge Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:15 pm

» [FNV] Weird facial problem when using Dragbody overhaul
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby CommunistDragon Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:18 pm

» [FNV] Some help with placing npcs in wasteland pls
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby TimvorixosGR Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:37 am

» Fallout Screenshots XIV
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby Smellen D'generes Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:06 am

» New person
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby W0NDER0FY0U Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:29 am

» Howdy pardners.
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby DVAted Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:06 pm

» Suggestions for a Halo Themed TTW Playthrough
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby apatheticman Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:44 pm

» who here is a mandalorian??
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby chazmister Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:13 pm

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Emptyby Ndf Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:29 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Judge Redd

Judge Redd

Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Empty
PostSubject: Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)   Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) 9f26f813
Hello there Recruits! Welcome to The Tombstone Review, and today I have the absolute pleasure of reviewing one of my all-time favourite movies, by one of my all-time favourite director. A man who is responsible for three of my most loved movies, Mr Paul Verhoeven. But which of his great movies am I reviewing today? Why it’s nothing but the great movie adaption of Robert A. Heinlein’s book, 1997’s “StarShip Troopers”.

A movie that shows war can make fascists of us all and with a large portion of its fans still debating over who started the war in the first place. It is also considered the bloodiest of Mr Verhoevens movies (Which include titles such as Total Recall and Robocop). If this all doesn’t make you want to see it, then let’s sit back, relax and ask ourselves:

Do You want to live forever?

Genre: Starship Troopers is a sci-fi action movie, where we see the soldiers of humanity face off against a species of insect like aliens. It would fit perfectly as a war movie, were it not for the fact the enemy is not a man, but a race of horrifying alien bugs. It also works as a form of satire as well on the idea of recruitment and propaganda. As throughout the film, we are treated to short scenes where we see the news report on the events happening throughout the films and even treated to some rather humorous adverts including an add about discovering you are psychic or not, where a man asks “Do you think your Psychic? Maybe you are?” (For all the fans of the TV show Psych, this character is played by Timothy Omundson who plays Carl Lassiter)

Basic Plot: In the distant future, young high school kids are encouraged to become citizens by joining the military. In this future, citizens are the only ones allowed to vote, as well as run for office. What these kids don’t know is that war is on the horizon. Soon they will find themselves in an all-out war against an alien race of giant insects. One they know little about, other than the fact it wishes to destroy the human race. Johnny Rico, a rich kid from Buenos Aires joined the military to be with the girl he loves, but soon finds himself on the battlefield. Can they fight to ensure Humanity’s future? Or will the bugs become the new dominant species?

Level of Blood and Gore: As I said earlier this is the bloodiest of Paul Verhoeven’s movies, using a total of 17 gallons of fake blood throughout the movie. Even with the blood there is a fair deal of gore as well. There is stabbings, shootings, impalements, and limbs being melted. On the gore front, you have dismemberments, people being ripped apart, legs being ripped off, and brains being sucked out of skulls (And that’s only the humans, the bugs won’t be counted but they suffer too). There is a lot of blood and gore in this movie that will make any splatter fan’s thirst for carnage become satisfied.

Kills: Well, as this is somewhat a war movie so there are a lot of kills in this movie. Some from friendly fire, others from bugs ripping apart soldiers limb from limb, literally. There are people bitten in half, stabbed by large pincers, and one pilot is split in half from her waist down by a mechanical door. One large bug is actually blown up after a grenade is thrown into a hole in his shell caused by machine gun fire. I mean good god, if that doesn’t get you wanting to see this movie what will? It sounds as cool as it is.

Setting: This movie setting continues to switch throughout the movie. We see the kid’s home town and high school, then the training camp of the mobile infantry, as well as the ships which the pilots drive, to the battlefield on the bug planets. What really stands out though, are the bug planets that the mobile infantry find themselves on. It is on these desert planets we see the bugs participate in guerrilla warfare against the mobile infantry. There is a wonderful colour in the bug’s blood, which adds to the belief they are completely different to the humans as well as each other. There is also a difference between the desert planets the mobile infantry must fight on, and the ships the pilots drive. While we are led to believe that both are doing their equal duty to serve, there is no doubt that there is a difference between the careers. Much like the bugs having different blood colours, the humans are treated differently due to rank or position.

How it racks up: Look, this movie ranks up very well in more ways than one. There is so much good in this film that it really does hold up better than I thought it would. I was afraid that I was looking at this through rose tinted goggles but found myself really relating to a lot of the characters, such as Jake Busey’s dumb ass meat head character who is that friend we all have. The lovable jerk, that is. With lines like:

“Everyone should have a friend like me.” – After Rico stands up to him for skipping line and he likes it.

“Yo-Ho-ho! Rico, you don’t deserve that” – Upon seeing Rico's girlfriend Carmen on a video message.

Besides him we have Clancy Brown as Drill Sergeant Zim, Michael Ironside as Jean Rasczak, and Neil Patrick Harris as Carl Jenkins, and you have a great cast of a great film.

Overall Mark: 9.5/10

While this is a great movie, there are some faults in it that you can’t ignore. But I would still say that this is a movie well worth seeing. Despite it being from the 90s, the cgi is great, the monsters are creepy, and the action is brilliant. It is not without faults here and there, but my god is it not just a fun movie to watch in my opinion. If you have never seen this movie before, I suggest you sit your ass down, open a beer (or cola), get some popcorn, and get ready for a pulse pounding sci fi war movie that has story, blood, love triangles, nudity, and action.

This movie is Rated M for Mature Audience due to the fact there is nudity, blood, gore, and a whole lot of Violence.

Remember if there is a movie you want me to review, leave it down in the comments below. I read all your comments, and enjoy the feedback.

Last edited by ZombieRedNeck on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wergon

Wergon

Character sheet
Name: Killian
Faction: Nocturne
Level: Hacker

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)   Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Yeeeeeeahh

It is good to see review about Starship Troopers, which i watched since i was in 6-7 years.
Cool film, i feel spirit of 90s in this film.

Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) NBgFzcg

My Achievments:
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demise.star
Judge Redd

Judge Redd

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)   Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 8:02 pm

@Star Same here Star, I think I was about 8 when I first saw this movie on late night one night. Man I loved it as a kid and it was a joy to come back to.
Back to top Go down
Cerruti

Cerruti

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)   Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Oh yes, that's film, I had to see it at least a dozen times.
The humor and the action are well dosed and very critical.
A film by Paul Verhoeven, inevitably ...
@ZombieRedNeck, thank you for this good memory of cinema.

praising

Character sheet
Name: Elmos Preisley
Faction: Randall & Associates
Level: 42

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)   Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Definitely an underrated movie in my opinion. And upon reading this, I feel the urge to watch it again. Also, as a warhammer 40k fan, I've always thought that this movie was like the Imperial Guard fighting against Tyranids.

kinda like this:

Great review as always @ZombieRedNeck Thumbs Up

Hoppyhead

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)   Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 2:26 am

Love Starship Troopers, I have collected all the movies of the series even the animated one.
Fun fact when I was in basic training for the Army one of the classes we took they played parts of the movie, I thought that was pretty cool. Great review!

Judge Redd

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)   Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 1:03 pm

@Hoppyhead Thats actually really interesting man. I too have a lot of the starship troopers stuff, but was hard as hell to find. Some good stuff all together. Thanks for the compliment, and I hope you will enjoy the next one I put up.

@praising Thanks for the compliment man, and I am so glad you enjoyed the review. I am glad your got the urge to watch this movie once again from my review. It is a great film after all.

@Cerruti Completely agree with you there, the humor + the action + the blood, makes it so much fun and enjoyable. I think its a movie everyone should watch once.
Back to top Go down
FireFly500

FireFly500

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)   Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 6:02 am

One of my most favorited films ever, I actually have some of the action figures they released as promotional material, including a big Warrior Bug figure that makes sound(Sadly, his battery died a year or so back)!
Back to top Go down
Laptoprocker

Laptoprocker

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)   Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) EmptySun Jun 26, 2022 11:47 am

Oh so this topic isn't about Starship Troopers: Traitors of Mars (2017)? Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) 1f60e
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)   Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997) Empty

Back to top Go down

Tombstone Review: Starship Troopers (1997)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1