Come for the Mods, Stay for the Community!

HomeCalendarInterviewsFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Info Panel
Stay Connected

_
August 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Favorite Faction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wraithh

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Faction   Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:18 am

Whenever I play New Vegas I almost always side with the NCR because it's the right thing to do, but, I think Caesar's Legion is the most interesting faction to be introduced to a Fallout game. I think because of how well the faction and the way in which they operate & conduct themselves (slavery, crucifixion etc.) fits so well into the setting of the game. Whilst you've got the Enclave which utilise all of this future militaristic tech to defeat there enemies, the legion have taken over so much using brutal tactics and playing on fear.

Also love the Life of Brian reference at Cottonwood Cove Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dewderson

Character sheet
Name: Boon
Faction: None
Level: 37

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Faction   Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 am

They are the most interesting faction for me to shoot hollow-points into so I can watch their heads come apart.

Character sheet
Name: Jason
Faction: Freeside
Level: 12

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Faction   Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:13 pm

@Sirdanest wrote:
@Visible Earth wrote:

But here's what I like about the original Fallout BOS. They're bad guys.

It's where Fallout 3 really went wrong.

I don't actually mind the idea of a renegade Brotherhood of Steel chapter doing a Veronica and helping Wastelanders. Having a conscience isn't necessarily bland or boring, and one Elder was bound to develop one eventually (F*ck the Codex amirite!?) I like that the Brotherhood Outcasts describe Elder Lyons as a Captain Ahab searching for his own White Whale (that being the location producing the Super Mutants). It lends a bit of credence to the idea that Lyons is a mentally unsound old man wasting resources on a fool's errand.

The main issue with the Brotherhood in Fallout 3 is how they are framed. Consider my point about how the Brotherhood are set up as a threat right at the getgo of Fallout. We see men in power armour execute a man in the street, then laugh and look directly at the camera in the opening intro. In the Fallout 3 opening intro, the execution is removed but the man in power armour remains. He looks at the destroyed Capitol Wasteland, then turns to *you* the player (the soldiers in Fallout turn to a camera, not *you* specifically) with a pose as if to say, "join me in sweet sweet badassery in this patriotic sandbox! Time to blow up some mindless monsters!" Honestly, it feels like a military advert. The point is, the game never really posits the point about Lyons being kind but foolish to any great extent. He's just the kind old man leading the badass Brotherhood and you get to help them because why not? It's a shame when you consider that this would have been a timely moment to critique another certain older world leader set on a "liberating" crusade in the East.

I wish they'd developed the Brotherhood "Outcasts" more (they shouldn't be the "Outcasts" as they're actually following the Codex but whatever). Honestly Fallout 3 should've been framed around the Brotherhood Civil War as opposed to it being an Enclave/BOS grunt match. It's frustrating that the Outcasts are just painted as these moustache-twirling a**eholes. It can be argued, as it is in Fallout New Vegas, that the Codex-following BOS are altruistic in their aims. They're trying to keep dangerous weapons technology out of the hands of potentially dangerous peoples. It's a condescending position but a not necessarily negative one. Lyons' group, like Veronica Santangelo, wants to use the resources of the BOS to help the wasteland. But it could be argued, again as it is by Elder McNamara in New Vegas, that it isn't really a cryptofascist military organisation's place to assist in a new culture's development.

The point is, Fallout 3 was more interested in painting the BOS as badass "good guys" than anything beyond that. Which is a shame, because there was a lot of room for characterisation and development. I guess we can blame Fallout Tactics and Fallout Brotherhood of Steel for developing the whole "badass All-American Brotherhood" stuff, because in the original Fallout they were very much a criticism of that American militarism. It's very telling that Fallout 3, released a year after Call of Duty Modern Warfare, ends with the badass Brotherhood of Steel fighting alongside a badass patriotic robot called Liberty Prime to help defeat a tyrannical government that had taken control of the Jefferson Memorial.

Modern-day American patriotism oozes from the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3, which feels very bizarre when you consider the fact that they're living in a post-apocalyptic world brought about by the fascistic, imperialistic egos of global super powers that eventually destroyed each other.

In conclusion to this garbled mess of an analysis, the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout are a continuation of the pre-war government of Fallout, while the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3 are a continuation of the modern day American government.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahyuser001

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Faction   Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:18 pm

@Visible Earth wrote:
In conclusion to this garbled mess of an analysis, the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout are a continuation of the pre-war government of Fallout, while the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3 are a continuation of the modern day American government.

I wound't say that the West Coast BOS is a continuation of the pre-war American Government, more like the some of the numerous monastic societies that has existed through out time(eg. Crusaders, Inquisition, Christian monks in Rome).

They were acting like the pre-war American Army during their first days but they turned into a technology worshiping cult that hordes it(mostly weapons tech) so that it could not be used by other people to hurt themselves as stated in their codex.

The West Coast BOS doesn't really do this in the kindness of their hearts but rather because they are following their codex just like how a religious person would follow whatever is in their holy book/writing they have.

The East Coast BOS is more akin to the Kingdom of Arthur. They still have that reverence for technology but they have the best interest of their people(serfs) at heart, well at least during Lyons time.

The most important question to ask. Will there be enough Dakka?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corvo

Character sheet
Name: Corvo
Faction:
Level: Colonial

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Faction   Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:23 pm

The Brotherhood Of Steel, specifically Maxson’s chapter. Lyons’ BoS were too goody-two-shoes and one-dimensional, and the classic BoS are too stuck in their tech-hoarding ways. Maxson seems like a great leader with a lot of charisma and intelligence. He may be genocidal, but he believes he is doing it for the greater good.

They’re just a very believable human faction. They’re not goody-two-shoes like the Minutemen but they’re not as evil as the Legion or the Institute.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Faction   

Back to top Go down

Favorite Faction

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gaming Underground Network :: Fallout :: Discussion-