Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
wolfenstein riot machine commonwealth daryl money Gear boomers marvel NPCs vault FCOM space Reforged dead hunk Superpele body Ryse ghoul upgrades khan Mask Call boom mandalorian
Latest topics
» Modder looking for gun mods
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby Bset Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:33 pm

» schorched enclave officer
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby Smash96 Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:13 pm

» Sup everyone (link funny shorts here)
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby DHB00P Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» Late Introduction
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby Battleclad Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:29 am

» Greetings!
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby Primus_Daibhidh Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:01 pm

» Fallout New Vegas Stuttering And LOD Problems
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby gamerdude7892 Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:48 am

» hello, here for porting tips and tricks to fnv
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby uxof Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:50 pm

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby DireTheRed Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:52 pm

» So I tried my hand at modding...
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby Bset Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:01 am

» Guns you want in Fallout
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby DoxxxBoxx Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:33 am

» hi i'm new person
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby Jackfishproductions Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:00 am

» What Fallout 4 Armor Mod is This?
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby Skroge Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:15 pm

» [FNV] Weird facial problem when using Dragbody overhaul
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby CommunistDragon Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:18 pm

» [FNV] Some help with placing npcs in wasteland pls
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby TimvorixosGR Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:37 am

» Fallout Screenshots XIV
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby Smellen D'generes Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:06 am

» New person
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby W0NDER0FY0U Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:29 am

» Howdy pardners.
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby DVAted Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:06 pm

» Suggestions for a Halo Themed TTW Playthrough
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby apatheticman Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:44 pm

» who here is a mandalorian??
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby chazmister Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:13 am

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Emptyby Ndf Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:29 am

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Siriusbizzy

Siriusbizzy

Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Empty
PostSubject: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 4:24 am

Just needed a place to post the reminder I gave myself when modding a fresh install of NV beginning of july. How foolish I was to think I'd be done modding and playing within a day BrickWall Headbutt
It does require work, knowledge and an iron discipline to get those 100+ mods working in unison. By golly, it has been, once again, a true learning experience :p
Still I'm saddened by the fact that the number I can load does not match the number I desire to run simultaneously, even with some rigorous merging.

Now that I've vented this, I will start searching for more info and work my way towards the definitive set to start my adventure.

Yoho and a bottle of Quantum! #endparley Pirates
Back to top Go down
The Rabid Dog

The Rabid Dog

Character sheet
Name: Niko
Faction: Myself
Level: Over 9000 Chromosomes

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 4:53 am

Yeah man that's quite a chore, if you haven't seen it yet, here you go a merge that i did some time ago, i hope it improves your playthrough if you use it.

https://www.gunetwork.org/t16292-fnv-you-get-knocked-out

Oh and by the way, i made a Fallout meme compilation, i'm planning to make an update any time soon, but i think that you gotta have access to the dumping grounds to see it so i hope this is the right one: https://www.gunetwork.org/t13543-dumping-grounds-subforum-rules

Damianwolff

Damianwolff

Character sheet
Name: Mit Boston
Faction: Pre-War MIT
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 5:59 am

Siriusbizzy wrote:
It does require work, knowledge and an iron discipline to get those 100+ mods working in unison

I second that thing about "iron discipline"

It is very easy to start getting modding problems from a lack of "modding hygiene", so to speak.

Most gamers, who mod and play Bethesda games, know that it is entirely possible to be clean and efficient in instalation of mods, and that it is a skill that pays off. Moreso, "modding sprees" are not your friend, and will almost always lead to a corrupt save sooner or later. It is kind of a good idea to start the game with a mostly rigid loadout of mods which will more or less stay the same throughout the 100-200 hours into the game.

Now, hands up who actually does this? Bicycle

It is always hard to resist the temptation, but, as a result, a lot of playthroughs end with CTDs and corrupt saves.

It takes a lot of that iron discipline and modding hygiene to not install mods on a whim, or for the sake of a one-time giggle. Especially with websites like Nexus and Gunetwork at the tip of the fingers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 6:24 am

Quote "It is kind of a good idea to start the game with a mostly rigid loadout of mods which will more or less stay the same throughout the 100-200 hours into the game."

Or you can be on the never ending testing as I seem to be lately. MO 2 seems to make this more likely in my case. I'm constantly toying with mods, textures and game changes telling myself I'll discover the "next perfect combo" to start a new play thru. Yep...it's a pipe dream. There are so many good mods and authors out there. Like a kid in the cereal aisle of the grocery store.

And don't forget how many ENB's, lighting and weather mods there are...and my fantasy starts again.
Back to top Go down
ahyuser001

ahyuser001

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 4:39 pm

This is why I absolutely love Mod Organizer and XEdit <3

But I think in the end of the day you get that feeling that you accomplished something after making those 100+ mods work with each other and that is a very good feeling.

Will there be enough Dakka?
Back to top Go down
BigRedRandomMan

BigRedRandomMan

Character sheet
Name: Bourbon Freeman
Faction: NCR
Level: 30

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 5:16 pm

For me sometimes I can get more satisfaction out of setting up a modded game that works without issue than I get from playing the game itself. There's something therapeutic for me about browsing mods and installing them.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

ahyuser001

Character sheet
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 7:03 pm

@BigRedRandomMan

It's the same here. I cannot really speak for everyone but it is the same feeling with trying to finish a model.

You assemble the parts first then you try to combine them one by one then you get that sense of satisfaction after seeing the finished product.

Will there be enough Dakka?
Back to top Go down
RikugunTaisaDancho

RikugunTaisaDancho

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 11:45 pm

Setting up mods for my FNV\FO4, Skyrim can deff be a chore especially that it end sup becoming like grocery shopping, i have a list of mods i wan to use for my saves, or my save that loads certain plugins i don thave (cause of PC formatting), so somteimes i am not even sure if the mods i use back then still exist now, and if not. i just hope that my savegame isnt broken without that certain mod, its deff a chore for me, can take about a week to start up my gameplay
Back to top Go down
stoobygacks

stoobygacks

Character sheet
Name: Stooby of the Gacks
Faction: New California Republic
Level: FL360

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 3:36 am

the best feeling is when you load up the game and wake up to the wonderful face of Doc Mitchel. Your frame rate is good, textures are working and its all fun. And when it doesn't work, and it crashes over and over, or you find a conflict that makes up uninstall 12 mods in order to resolve it, that sucks.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 6:03 am

BigRedRandomMan wrote:
For me sometimes I can get more satisfaction out of setting up a modded game that works without issue than I get from playing the game itself. There's something therapeutic for me about browsing mods and installing them.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

This is definitely where I'm at with the modding at the moment. I'm well over the 255 limit so merging and stability is a big pat on the back when it works. When it doesn't work, it turns into a lesson that needs to be figured out. That is therapeutic as well.
Back to top Go down
Dextrose

Dextrose

Character sheet
Name: Dexter
Faction: The Institute
Level: Model of Apathy

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 7:21 am

i highly recommend learning to merge the files, and if not and your save gets corrupted, i found a solution on some ancient forum years ago. yes, this works...mostly.

ONLY for FO3/FNV does it work for me; 1: save the game. 2: acquire a fat-man and blow up your character (this will load the previous save when your character dies and, according to what someone said forever ago, "uncorrupt your save" as it reloads). 3: save again, and pray that it works.

[icon by Apriorii]
Back to top Go down
https://www.nexusmods.com/users/11871608
BigRedRandomMan

BigRedRandomMan

Character sheet
Name: Bourbon Freeman
Faction: NCR
Level: 30

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 7:43 am

@"ahyuser001" @"jacoboriley"
I'm glad I'm not the only one my friend thinks I'm strange for the inordinate amount of time I've spent modding Fallout games.

njmanga097

Character sheet
Name: Captain Wick
Faction: Wildfire
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 9:22 am

It is quite a laborious task...so much that even if I've uninstalled FNV, I didn't delete my weapon sfx compilation for it. Whenever I install either FO3 and FNV, I always try to measure when I'll be finished tuning the game to my specifications. Usually when I install FO3, the first play day would be the next day, while FNV takes me 2 days (custom everything).

Personal Experience that still haunts me to this day:

The first thing I thoroughly changed was the sfx of FNV. I thought that the way the folders worked is that it directly goes to the weapon itself (LMG firing sfx would be in the lmg sfx folder), but nope. It shares the same sound with the 12.77 and 10mm smg all in 1 folder. Of course I didn't know that at first so it took a lot of time to figure that shit out and got a migraine just from figuring out which file needs to be in. I know it's pretty basic stuff to many by now, but to the inexperienced? Hahaha

EDIT:
There were other weapons as well that had a shit arrangement. Battle Rifle, DKS-501 Sniper Rifle, and Hunting Rifle all have the same sounds. Service Rifle and Varmint also shares one sound. 10mm silenced sound is in the assaultcarbinesilenced, and some other crazy crazy arrangements

Last edited by njmanga097 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i just really wanna tell how nasty it got for me)
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/noel.manga.art
zodiac213

zodiac213

Character sheet
Name: Artyom
Faction: Mercenary
Level: Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 10:04 am

It certainly is a labor,a labor of love,but a labor nonetheless. It probably doesn't help in my case that I just install mods as I go. There are some set mods that I always install(high res textures,Project Nevada, Weapons of the New Millenia,etc),but once I finish installing those,boy does it become a shitshow for my load order. I just go through Nexus and GUN looking for any shiny mods that tickle my interest and install them on a whim. Once I get a good chunk,than I start "playtesting" it. As you can tell,this leads to a lot of problems with incompatibilities and hitting the plugin limit real quick. Hell,it wasn't until recently that I actually started to clean the master files. Thankfully though,I have gotten my Fallout New Vegas in working and enjoyable order a while ago. Only problem is that I'm currently taking an extended break from Fallout so I haven't played in a good while,but I'm to scared to uninstall it and the mods because of how much of a son-of-a-bitch it was to get it where it is now.

Austaneous236

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 am

I think we've all have the Mod Bloat Blues at one point in our modding adventures. You just have to keep up your efforts mate, you'll get there.

Last edited by Austaneous236 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sgtrock31

sgtrock31

Character sheet
Faction: Minutemen
Level: 1

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 12:47 am

Yeah usually modding takes me a week i still don't have a iron will though. Got to find out what works with what, merges if you know how to do em, etc. It is a labor of love though. Must play the ultimate FNV/FO4
Back to top Go down
Siriusbizzy

Siriusbizzy

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 5:11 am

I spent over a week before I got things running in a stable manner, BUT I had reacquainted myself with the process AND learned some new things too. So I call that a win-win. Just the occasional missing texture or clutter issue, though they are rare now. Merging is a game on its own but there is so much to be gained by doing it properly. Nevertheless I still need to control myself and not become ye-olde-mod-hogger Very Happy
Thing that bugs me the most still, is companion AI as I like playing a stealth character. Niner keeps on rushing in front of my LoS with the bladed gauntlet I gave him...I love the guy but he is infuriating at times. Have to resort to "totally passive until hit" to keep those comps from interfering.
**confession: there is definitely something therapeutic and fun about the modding itself, the satisfaction you get from getting a big loadout to work is worth it, every time.**
Back to top Go down
gakusangi

gakusangi

Character sheet
Name: Vapor Snake
Faction: Dead Fox
Level: 1

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 12:19 am

I need to compile a list, with links, and work out the categories for fixes, utilities, and stability mods, then follow with added content and expanded gameplay, and finally finish off with graphics and sound overhauls. It would still be nearly an all-day task getting it all up, even having the experience.
Back to top Go down
TheLegendWhoFell

TheLegendWhoFell

Character sheet
Name: Lucien (PS3)
Faction: BOS
Level: 50

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 3:08 am

I'm running 228 mods right now. I feel your pain my dude. It's not easy my guy. Spent days modding and still not playing my first walkthrough.

celtic_spike

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 4:15 am

dont get me started Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< 1f602 Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< 1f602

just started a new playthrough recently and it took me about a week of installing mods, testing and tinkering to get it to a state i was happy to start playing.

it is worth it though

PostSubject: Re: Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<   Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_< Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh right, modding is a laborious task >_<

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next