Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
Reforged brotherhood Ryse body NPCs mandalorian wolfenstein marvel Metal riot Gear machine boom dead power boomers Superpele ghoul Mask hunk leon vault khan money commonwealth port
Latest topics
» Roland Deschain ist The Mysterious Stranger and other t
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby SpaceRanger Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:15 am

» Guns you want in Fallout
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby SpaceRanger Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:25 am

» [FO4] Doom 2016 models as replecement.
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby SpaceRanger Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:12 am

» [FO4] Secret Service armor, helmet headlamp
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby fossaceca17 Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:19 pm

» The Legion are fascists, let's discuss it.
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby Cipher22 Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:28 pm

» The Next fallout
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby Cipher22 Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:25 pm

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby Cipher22 Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:21 pm

» Afterlife discord
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby Willaemann Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:44 am

» What happened to Outlawer's pack 1?
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby Trappy82 Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:17 pm

» Greetings
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby septron Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:49 am

» Starfield
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby jaypak Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:56 am

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby RockstarAC16 Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:19 am

» Just a tired engineer with too little free time
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby Lonesome_Wanderer Thu May 30, 2024 9:02 pm

» Hello everyone. Looking to add classic Fallout in FO4
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby Lonesome_Wanderer Thu May 30, 2024 8:53 pm

» The Fallout TV show destroyed NV. I'm done with Todd.
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby SpookyGeist Wed May 29, 2024 6:39 am

» XHX Discord server.
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby TheGoodKoosh Sat May 25, 2024 3:25 pm

» Weird bug or glitch with Console Command. [FNV]
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby nickenicole47 Sat May 25, 2024 1:05 am

» What's your favorite weapon in the Fallout Series
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby FellowHumanOfOutpost31 Thu May 23, 2024 9:32 am

» (FO4) FO76 BOS Objects
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby keelordd Wed May 22, 2024 12:53 am

» How to change the UI sound fx placed by a mod?
Unlike most rpgs...  Emptyby immortallegion Sun May 12, 2024 4:40 pm

July 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
July 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Unlike most rpgs...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction: Dependent
Level: Basement

Unlike most rpgs...  Empty
PostSubject: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 8:40 pm

A lot of famous rpgs have companions, followers for the player character; aboslute solo adventures are rare. They're either part of the group, or temporary for the length of a quest.
In fact with a lot of famous rpgs, the group is often around six, and often, better for it. You can play divinity original sin with one character (so I hear,) but I wouldn't want to, personally. Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, Knights of the Old republic, Dragon Age, etc, lots of famous companion characters. In fact for me the companion characters were the spotlight of those games.

But I think anyone who tries to make a group of six people in a Bethesda engine game (including New Vegas here), even if a _very_ talented modder were involved, would find the results... not so great. Normally I loved the big groups of bickering characters.
I've tried multiple companion mods in Fallout and Skyrim games, and they didn't cause me to enjoy the game more, to put it politely. Even the original two fallout games, more than one companion could result in all kinds of tragi-comic crossfire disasters if you let them have explosives or automatic weapons. Does that make elder scrolls and Fallout almost unique, in that regard?
Or maybe I'm way off and people loved playing Skyrim with six followers chopping their way through the dungeon?

You could point out that, perhaps, these games' characters weren't programmed to work in a group, and were designed to be a lone follower (Inigo and Vilya being an amazingly rare exception.) Lydia and some other rando are just human-shaped swords to carry my burudens, so of course a hoard of them isn't going to make the game more interesting, right? But a lot of RPGs like Icewind Dale had 6 characters, each with far less personality than Lydia.
Back to top Go down
apraha91

apraha91

PostSubject: Re: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2020 1:50 am

Not sure if i understood your post - so many topics
If You like soloing try Gothic series (if you hadnt), crappy graphic and HORRIBLE controlls and mechanics but interesting plot and somehow enjoyable. Also Dark Souls are solo rpgs
For beth games i recommend Toaster mods - recruit EVERYONE, no friendly fire etc
About tragi-comic crossfire, how many times as n00b did i burn my warriors with wrong spell in Icewind Dale Very Happy
Have to agree most companions are mobile backpacks, agro range are weird - some will snipe the shit out of enemies but mostly they will look at you while getting smashed by group of supermutants

Try MMO? When you want you can group with others, when not travel solo or bring 1 friend. Its funnier to have thinking companion without micromanaging
Back to top Go down
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 am

I can sum up by saying that Bethesda's engine for Elder Scrolls and Fallout (including Obsidian's New Vegas) doesn't seem to be as conducive to three+ party groups as games like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Pillars of Eternity, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect etc (which I feel, each thrived on the group.)
Its' sort of a shame, I suppose.  We probably won't ever see a Fallout 5 or Elder scrolls game with a bickering, neurotic party of six adventurers.  It's be a completely chaotic mess in combat I think.
Back to top Go down
Tribal Raven

Tribal Raven

Character sheet
Name: Jack
Faction: No Gods, No Masters
Level: 50

PostSubject: Re: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 1:09 pm

Ehh... I wouldn't really enjoy that amount of people in a party at a given time.

Especially in FNV, I've found most companions to be a liability who either kill all the enemies thus removing the balance of the fights or die immediately. It's certainly no where near a turn-based RPG nor does the engine allow you to face such hoards of enemies that having that many companions would make sense.

souptrashbaby

souptrashbaby

PostSubject: Re: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  EmptyThu Mar 26, 2020 6:34 pm

On the other hand if you're trying to roleplay a character who's an absolute untouchable badass, having a squad of companions rip through enemies for you can be a positive thing.

Also, it would be nice if future fallout games allowed for at least 1 or 2 more companions and added bickering.
Back to top Go down
souptrashbaby

souptrashbaby

PostSubject: Re: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  EmptyThu Mar 26, 2020 6:34 pm

On the other hand if you're trying to roleplay a character who's an absolute untouchable badass, having a squad of companions rip through enemies for you can be a positive thing.

Also, it would be nice if future fallout games allowed for at least 1 or 2 more companions and added bickering.
Back to top Go down
Vermiciousknid1

Vermiciousknid1

PostSubject: Re: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 am

I agree more than 2 followers at a time would be chaotic, also navigating indoor spaces may be impossible the buildings just aren't made for that much traffic in Bethesda games. FNV does have Willow and Niner which are great companions with their own quests. They work well together, not quite Inigo and Vilya but close.
Back to top Go down
Anchev

Anchev

Character sheet
Name: Anchev
Faction: Enclave
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  EmptyThu Apr 30, 2020 3:56 pm

5 companions plus PC in Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Tyranny, PoE, Pathfinder Kingmaker and etc, works because every character have a role that is needed to progress more easily, yes you can play solo builds or less companions for the challenge.
Back to top Go down
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  EmptyFri May 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Yeah it.d be nice to see party banter in fallout someday
Back to top Go down
roflcopter117
Admin
roflcopter117

PostSubject: Re: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  EmptySat May 02, 2020 6:42 am

I guess the biggest obstacle in this is the fact that games such as Baldur's Gate, POE, etc are completely different games from the modern Fallout games and Elder Scrolls.

The modern Fallout is an FPS/adventure with RPG elements (with FNV having more RPG and FO4 having less). Elder Scrolls was a medieval life sim/ dungeon crawler then an action adventure with RPG elements. Implementing something like companion banter among 4+ characters like from BG/others would be very challenging to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unlike most rpgs...    Unlike most rpgs...  Empty

Back to top Go down

Unlike most rpgs...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gaming Underground Network :: Fallout :: Discussion-