Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
khan Reforged NPCs commonwealth dead Overhaul ghoul vault gauss Call machine wolfenstein riot body boom Mask marvel power Superpele Gear boomers hunk money daryl Ryse mandalorian
Latest topics
» Just a tired engineer with too little free time
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Allthis Today at 1:20 pm

» Afterlife discord
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby fil0000 Today at 4:57 am

» The Next fallout
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Velken Yesterday at 10:13 pm

» (FO4) FO76 BOS Objects
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Velken Yesterday at 10:08 pm

» Announcement: The Winds of Change
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Luke Priefer Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» The Fallout TV show destroyed NV. I'm done with Todd.
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Luke Priefer Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» Starfield
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Velken Wed May 08, 2024 9:34 pm

» Not new, but been a long time
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby john96 Fri May 03, 2024 10:31 pm

» Hey everyone, I've missed this place so much.
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Xehonort Wed May 01, 2024 11:33 am

» Hello, can anyone help me with the load order?
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Elean Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:21 am

» Hey guys!!!
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby SilverInc Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:39 am

» The Legion are fascists, let's discuss it.
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby monke gaming Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:56 am

» A long overdue introduction
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Athallah Akbar Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:46 am

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Nicward Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:50 pm

» Howdy from grandmastoes
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Apoc Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 pm

» armor slot changing in creation kit
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby Meno Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:22 am

» {Multi Choice POLL} Fallout 3 or Fallout NV music?
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby HardComma Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:42 pm

» Hello from nexus
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby noacctname1 Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:54 pm

» Who Would Win: Ulysses or Joshua Graham?
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:06 pm

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:55 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction: Dependent
Level: Basement

Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Empty
PostSubject: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Either New Vegas or Fallout...
if you could change your face, such that no one would recognize you, and then it would conceivably clear your faction reputations and criminal records, etc -- I assume this would otherwise pretty much shatter the game(s)? I mean, it seems like it should be possible, especially in fallout 4 with the face surgeon, although no amount of change makes people fail to recognize you.
I guess the problem would be that while their recognition of you would vanish, any quests you finished for them would have to stay finished, probably not workable.
But I just avoid the face surgery unless it's for something small, because it just feels weird that everyone recognizes the character no matter how much is changed.
Back to top Go down
nervo82

nervo82

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 7:05 pm

The surgeon it's bethesda ingame escamotage to let the player modify his/her character, IMO trying to find too much sense in it is pretty pointless. You got a bunch of people that in 200 years they haven't managed to rebuild almost anything, that live submerged by litter even in their own house and that keep wearing clothes made 2 centuries before in a costant state of paranoia on the real identity of anyone around him(fallout 4) but accept that in their hometown there is a 200 year old piece of hi tech machinery that can modify any parameter of your body in less than a hour.
Back to top Go down
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Fallout 4's commonwealth civilization outside of the institute is on a downward spiral, rather than a forward progression. That isn't wrong, or bad writing, to show a people in decay, slowing falling toward extinction (although I don't think Diamond city knows it yet, as it seemed they're in the dark as to just how dangerous the gunners would have been.)

The west was running on the equivalent of two absolutely heroic characters that are responsible for the advanced of civilization in California. The Commonwealth and DC didn't have those two heroes, and are lucky to even have people living there as a result -- California would have in horrible shape by the time of New Vegas without those two heroes building it up. Even if somehow the Master and the Enclave had failed on their own, the forward progress of civilization wouldn't have happened without the first two heroes.
Fallout 3 and 4 didn't have those heroes in their past, so the forward progress of civilization never happened like it did in the west.

People in real life live in shanty towns, surrounded by filth and garbage -- far worse than Diamond city even. And they haven't even been nuked or screwed up by crazy vaults. It's not bad writing to portray a post apocalyptic world that is on the verge of total failure and extinction, living in shanty towns and filth. That's human nature for at least thousands if not more, in 21st century real life.
Back to top Go down
IRORIEH

IRORIEH

Character sheet
Name: Booker
Faction: The highest bidder
Level: 21

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptyFri Aug 23, 2019 11:54 am

No it doesn't make much sense lore wise, but a complete seemless re-sculpt of a face also isn't a real thing. It's just a mechanic to allow you to change the way you look.

I'm guessing implementing a whole system that modifies reputation and resets recognition would be too much work, and cause way too many issues to implement. Honestly it doesn't bother me that much. My immersion doesn't really hinder on how my character looks, unless I want it to, so adding or removing dirt and scars is the majority of what I do.

Back to top Go down
Alixen

Alixen

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptyMon Aug 26, 2019 5:02 pm

I don't use them myself as generally I go into a new playthrough with a character look and concept in mind, and would just start a new one if something occured to me or I wanted a change. Fallout lore has gotten pretty... odd... since we hit the 3D entries. Back in the day we had scientists who could genetically great talking Deathclaws and even chess playing plants, and targeted viruses, and Auto-Docs that could over weeks implant enhancements. Now we have... face sculpting tech? The Memory Den? Synth gorillas? Spy crows? It's both more sensible and more whacky at the same time, if that make sense,
Back to top Go down
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 5:18 am

I think Fallout 2 was wackier. People would scream if they brought back even a fraction of the weird shit from those days, a lot of it has been sort of forgotten by the fanbase.
In Fallout, SCIENCE! has a long history of being able to do silly things that can't be done with mere "science," so I don't doubt that a bored scientist could create gorillas just to see if they could do it, and I doubt doubt that face sculpting could exist, but it lacks immmersiveness in that no one notices that the face was changed, and that is the part that I think is implausible.
There's a long, long list of things in the past game that have had their intelligence and speech capabilities increased, and I think for some reason Bethesda is afraid to go back to that even though it's a solid piece of the lore -- even though Bethesda is quite fearless in making some other rather unpopular decisions.
Back to top Go down
Tekmon_Xonic

Tekmon_Xonic

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 6:21 am

@ Sirdanest (First Post)

This wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility in Fallout, because there was the whole replicated man quest in Fallout 3 which involves you tracking down a runaway synth from the common wealth, of who had facial surgery to reconstruct his face so that he wouldn't be recognizable by anyone from the institute or anyone related to track him down.

Now as for applying it from paper to in game. It would be perfect for a character who is super evil and has a change of heart, or some one who's so good they become the bad guy. In fact, changing sides isn't unheard of in Fallout anyways. In fallout 3, you can other play up multiple sides in a conflict, just to yield the most rewards, and similarly, in Fallout New Vegas, once you get to Mr. House. Your reputation with the NCR and Legion is reset to neutral if you have any negative reputation with them.

In vanilla fallout 3, there are two perks that can change your identity in a very minor fashion, and that's the stairway to heaven and hell's highway perks. Both respectively set your karma to very good or very bad. So a good character can turn evil, and an evil character can turn good.

Plus, if you really want to get crazy, look at what the institute does in Fallout 4. They create synth clones of people and replace the real versions with their clones. Similarly, Mr. House has turned himself into a super A.I., and can be omnipresent, so you could get someone like Mr. House working on an institute level, and insert himself into any capable body to do his bidding in whatever way he sees fit.

So when it comes to changing ones identity in Fallout, there's really no limit to how it can be achieved. It's just that I don' think Bethesda or Obsidian ever designed the Fallout Games with major identity chaining mechanics in mind. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tribal Raven

Tribal Raven

Character sheet
Name: Jack
Faction: No Gods, No Masters
Level: 50

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 9:35 pm

While an interesting concept, it's just not something I see as possible within Bethesda games.

They are stories where the world literally revolves around your PC. It seems like it would be better suited for GTA Online or something like Dark Souls where it doesn't matter who your character specifically is because they have a successor.

rogerrabbit130

rogerrabbit130

Character sheet
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 9:37 pm

Interesting questions raised but overall I think it would hamper the experience for people like me who just never are able to settle on a definitive look for their character and always notice something they want to change on the fly or like to "age" their character (mostly only applies to Fallout 4 and Skyrim) where I'll add some aging to them over time, some battle scars if there was a particularly climactic fight, or whatever the case may be.
Back to top Go down
Tribal Raven

Tribal Raven

Character sheet
Name: Jack
Faction: No Gods, No Masters
Level: 50

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 9:46 pm

@rogerrabbit130

That's the thing, no matter what you did, it really only is a cosmetic thing.

I don't see how we could do something like it and have it affect gameplay. (I think in Skyrim, it erases your bounty but that's it)

rogerrabbit130

rogerrabbit130

Character sheet
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 9:48 pm

@"Tribal Raven" Yeah, I mean I feel like it would be odd to have it effect gameplay. Like yeah, suspension of disbelief and all that, but personally I think it would just be odd. Like the OP said I can't imagine the headache of trying to get something like this to function with all the quests etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games   Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games Empty

Back to top Go down

Face surgery and changing identity in fallout games

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1