Gaming Underground Network

Come for the Mods, Stay for the Community!

HomeCalendarInterviewsFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Info Panel
Stay Connected

What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas? 963578843666749.3281.984305707
_
April 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maccrawinthejaw

maccrawinthejaw

What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas? Empty
PostSubject: What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas?   What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas? EmptySun Apr 14, 2019 5:28 am

Okay, to be clear: when I ask that question I am by no means being snide about it or implying that it's a bad game in any way, shape or form.

It's just that I look at it and look at all of the enduring mod support and stuff for it, and I can't really understand why people love it so much, especially in comparison to Fallout 4.

I've played it a little bit before I bought Fallout 4 and it was alright. It was kind of lacking in certain features standard in shooter games, most principally with sprinting (and yeah, I know there's a mod for it but it really should be built in, y'now?). Expansions wise, it seemed to have the upper hand, but that honestly is all I can really say about F:NV (or is it "FO:NV"?).

"There is always another way! ...Unless that is the only other way.
"Well, this'll be tricky to explain to the next of kin: good news, he's not technically dead; bad news is, he's turned into a mushroom."
"That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."
-"That's the nicest thing I've ever said to anyone, including my wife."

What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas? 76561198096227723[/color]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tribal Raven

Tribal Raven

Character sheet
Name: Jack
Faction: No Gods, No Masters
Level: 25

PostSubject: Re: What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas?   What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas? EmptySun Apr 14, 2019 6:40 am

So FNV was made by Obsidian not Bethesda.

Overall, the game is far darker and more true to the original Fallout and Fallout 2 in terms of gameplay choices, overall feeling and setting.

I personally believe that Bethesda railroads their players in Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, there is a set quest that usually involves the PC going from Point A to Point B to Point C with no real choices or consequences along the way. With the addition of a set backstory for the protagonist as well as voiced PC, FO4 lacks any real depth as an RPG. 

FO4 was an improvement on this however with the addition of the warring factions. It also was introduced the gunplay that was lacking in previous titles. However, FO4 took that to the extreme. I dare you to try and play a rogue in FO4 that can complete at least half of the game without killing anybody or at least get into a gunfight.

FO4 also got rid of silly gameplay mechanics like skill checks. Because who really wants to invest into science skills and actually roleplay as a scientist (which you can in FNV). 

There's a lot more than that but I'm heading to bed. I'll edit my post tomorrow with more info of why I personally think it's special.

Just FYI tho, I am still one of the people who loves playing Fallout 4 and has invested hundreds of hours into it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Rabid Dog

The Rabid Dog

Character sheet
Name: Niko
Faction: Myself
Level: Over 9000 Chromosomes

PostSubject: Re: What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas?   What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas? EmptySun Apr 14, 2019 8:22 am

@Tribal Raven Yeah, that pretty much sums it up, i'm gonna add that NV was more consistent and loyal both to the originals and Bethesda's lore, unlike what Bethesda makes (yeah, they fuck up even with their own lore)

Obsidian took the time to explain the why's and how's of the world, adding up to what was already established.

The perks are way more varied and useful for roleplaying, and character builds instead of just % bonuses (like in 3 and 4) and there's traits too.

New Vegas keeps the original's essence, it is 'A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game' while in comparison, 4 improved on everything as possible to be streamlined and easier to consume and at the same time ditching as much RPG elements as possible, you know, the very same thing that a Fallout is made of.

And yeah, i'm well aware that NV feels lackluster and bland in some aspects.

What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas? Mt4ItGK
Kek:

Last edited by The Rabid Dog on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
conn11399

conn11399

Character sheet
Name: Elizabeth
Faction: Undecided
Level: 11

PostSubject: Re: What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas?   What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas? EmptySun Apr 14, 2019 8:46 am

Well F:NV and fallout in general is not about shooting. In fact the reason most people see F4 as a failure is because the only thing that it did was shooting. Fallout is and always should be about player freedom and making choices (and those choices having consequences). Fallout New Vegas is one of the last actual true RPG games. It lets you make a character good at some things but not so good at others. Every playstyle is supported. You want to be a smart nerd that sucks at guns? sure. You want to be a Punisher style mass killer? sure. Everyone in F:NV can die and it doesn't break the game! You just have consequences. It is a true breathing world with complex stories and mature themes. F:NV doesn't sugar coat the horrible acts that would happen in a post nuke world.

In summary if you dont know why it is so special then play it, truly play it.

If you are really curious

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7lIwBi9kKo&t=80s

This guy explains all the huge downsides of F4 and why it fails as a fallout game!

EDIT: sorry last edit
Just to clear things up I still enjoy F4 and I have about 500 hours in it but I have around 2000 in F:NV

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas?   What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's so special about Fallout: New Vegas?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1