Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
Reforged money Gear hunk commonwealth gauss khan marvel mandalorian body Call Superpele Overhaul riot Ryse NPCs machine power Mask boom dead boomers wolfenstein ghoul vault daryl
Latest topics
» Just a tired engineer with too little free time
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby Velken Yesterday at 12:54 am

» The Fallout TV show destroyed NV. I'm done with Todd.
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby SgtSpectre Sat May 04, 2024 2:21 pm

» Not new, but been a long time
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby john96 Sat May 04, 2024 12:31 am

» Hey everyone, I've missed this place so much.
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby Xehonort Wed May 01, 2024 1:33 pm

» Hello, can anyone help me with the load order?
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby Elean Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:21 am

» Hey guys!!!
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby SilverInc Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:39 pm

» The Legion are fascists, let's discuss it.
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby monke gaming Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 am

» A long overdue introduction
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby Athallah Akbar Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 am

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby Nicward Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:50 pm

» Howdy from grandmastoes
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby Apoc Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:06 pm

» armor slot changing in creation kit
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby Meno Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:22 am

» {Multi Choice POLL} Fallout 3 or Fallout NV music?
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby HardComma Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:42 pm

» Hello from nexus
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby noacctname1 Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:54 am

» Who Would Win: Ulysses or Joshua Graham?
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:06 pm

» The Next fallout
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:01 pm

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:55 pm

» Whats the Number 1 mod you really want? (NV)
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby CosmoMods Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:52 pm

» Unpopular Opinion: Too many mods ruin the game
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby Evmeister Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:11 am

» Guns you want in Fallout
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby Lupinboi Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:21 pm

» black doors in sierra madre bug
Bethesda without the main plots Emptyby Wɪmzɪkl Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:27 am

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Bethesda without the main plots

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction: Dependent
Level: Basement

Bethesda without the main plots Empty
PostSubject: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 11:01 am

In Oblivion, Morrowind, and Skyrim, I have been able to ignore the main plots (which I often found the weakest parts of the game,) and just do side quests and experience the world, and there was still a huge amount of content.
It's been a long time since I played fallout 3, and I might do it again (through ttw.) Maybe my memory fails me, but it wasn't the same as the elder scrolls, was it? I mean, was it as content rich, if the main plot somehow vanished?
Being a replay without alternate factions like Skyrim or New Vegas, I'm not as interested in the main plot -- so I'll be concentrating on side quests and such.
Back to top Go down
Voyevoda1

Voyevoda1

Character sheet
Name: Eli Sawyer
Faction: Independent
Level: 48

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 11:12 am

I would definetely say if you've done Fallout 3 before however long ago it may have been, I would strongly suggest doing a TTW run. A few months back a newer member of GUN was explaining that NV was their first experience with Fallout due the time of it's release, and had never played Fallout 3. To anyone who's never experienced it I would say play the original but I would say play TTW if you've done it before.

A good way to jog your memory is looking over the achievement lists for Fallout 3, as all of the side quests are tied to achievements. The side stuff is secular in terms of they aren't tied to the main quest in anyway, but where it falls flat only in comparison to the elder scrolls series is that there are no guilds to joing (They tend to have over arching stories over a long time).

Hope this helps Beer I don't tend to play the main story of the elder scrolls among revisiting them usually but the Fallout games don't cater to as much roleplaying as the elder scrolls does, in terms of the content available.

"We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was ever good at...but atleast I fought for what I believed in."
Back to top Go down
https://account.xbox.com/en-gb/Profile?xr=mebarnav&rtc=1
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 11:24 am

There are a number of fallout games ... 1, 2, tactics, 3, and 4 that very much tell you who you are and more or less who you are and/or where you came from.

New Vegas tells you that you had a job as a courier, and at least until the final dlc, makes no further claims about your past -- making NV a sort of "character origin" anomaly in fallout. I was vaguely annoyed by lonesome road because it seemed to be trying to contradict the head canon I'd innocently built up for my first courier, but I digress.

Compared to the "in prison for an unknown reason," the elder scrolls allow a LOT more choice in deciding (even if just in your head) who your character is and was, and will be. I think it allows "slotting in new content" a lot more easy, because there's no canon origin to violate. There's a "not the dragonborn" mod for skyrim, but I don't imagine there's anything like that for fallout 3 (no vault origin, no father to find, no main quest.)

New California would probably be a LOT easier to integrate, story-wise, into TTW if the vanilla fallout character was more of blank slate as far as origin/childhood. But I'm rambling now.
Back to top Go down
Voyevoda1

Voyevoda1

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 11:45 am

I'm pretty sure you can do a New California playthrough as part of a TTW run, but for the sake of how Fallout 3 starts I think that will always be the origin point of the story. You'll always be the Lone Wanderer, or you'll always start as that. There are some years inbetween for head canon to take place alongside the events of Lonesome Road

"We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was ever good at...but atleast I fought for what I believed in."
Back to top Go down
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 12:48 pm

New California absolutely can't be done currently with ttw, according to both teams. They both make gameplay mechanics changes that are (so they say) incompatible, both have their own scripts at startup, and have contradictory stories that can't be reconciled -- it's been discussed a lot and would take a gigantic effort to find a way to get them working together without conflicting bugs, sadly.
One can't have two childhoods, two origins on opposite sides of the country, and two fathers that need finding. Someday, though, I have no doubt that some intrepid legendary modder will figure it out.
Back to top Go down
Voyevoda1

Voyevoda1

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 3:15 am

Ahh my mistake. If you couldn't tell I haven't played New California Laugh Out Loud I guess it's down to what origin you prefer then, are you a frequent NC user? The last I seen of it I think it was still under a different name

Back to top Go down
ahyuser001

ahyuser001

Character sheet
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 7:27 am

IIRC the game was intended to distract the player from the main quest to encourage exploration. There are a lot of things to distract you in every nook and cranny of Fallout 3 that you will probably forget that you were searching for your dad.

Excluding quests, there are probably a little story going on in some random location that you stumble across if you just look at the place.

I think there was also this small mini puzzle that I still don't get the purpose of in a small diner I think.

Will there be enough Dakka?
Back to top Go down
Tribal Raven

Tribal Raven

Character sheet
Name: Jack
Faction: No Gods, No Masters
Level: 50

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 10:46 am

Fallout 3 lacked much depth outside of the main plot for me.

This is also because I relatively enjoyed it and it sets the stage for my explorations in the Capital Wasteland. On their own, quests in FO3 are pretty random and unenjoyable but when you stumble upon them while playing through the main quest, they seem less out of place to me.

And for the record, I highly recommend TTW. It's the best way to play FO3.

Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots EmptyTue Jul 02, 2019 11:00 am

Voyevoda1 wrote:
Ahh my mistake. If you couldn't tell I haven't played New California Laugh Out Loud I guess it's down to what origin you prefer then, are you a frequent NC user? The last I seen of it I think it was still under a different name

I just like to imagine having a "fallout worlds" that combines as many fallout worldspaces as possible. Frontier will eventually be on that wishlist.
Back to top Go down
Tekmon_Xonic

Tekmon_Xonic

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots EmptyFri Jul 26, 2019 10:57 pm

@ Sirdanest (Original Post)

And that, is the beauty of an open world RPG. Sure, you may have the main plot, but there is a whole world for you to explore, and there is nothing wrong with sitting down and playing a Bethesda (or Obsidian) game only to completely ignore the main plot with exploration, side quests, and making your own adventures. Play how you want man! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda without the main plots   Bethesda without the main plots Empty

Back to top Go down

Bethesda without the main plots

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1