Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
power NPCs Mask wolfenstein hunk commonwealth mandalorian boom boomers ghoul money Call machine Gear Ryse khan body Superpele vault gauss daryl Reforged riot Overhaul dead marvel
Latest topics
» The Fallout TV show destroyed NV. I'm done with Todd.
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby gavin gold Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Just a tired engineer with too little free time
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby Velken Mon May 06, 2024 6:54 am

» Not new, but been a long time
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby john96 Sat May 04, 2024 6:31 am

» Hey everyone, I've missed this place so much.
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby Xehonort Wed May 01, 2024 7:33 pm

» Hello, can anyone help me with the load order?
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby Elean Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Hey guys!!!
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby SilverInc Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:39 pm

» The Legion are fascists, let's discuss it.
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby monke gaming Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 am

» A long overdue introduction
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby Athallah Akbar Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:46 pm

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby Nicward Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:50 pm

» Howdy from grandmastoes
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby Apoc Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:06 am

» armor slot changing in creation kit
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby Meno Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:22 pm

» {Multi Choice POLL} Fallout 3 or Fallout NV music?
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby HardComma Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:42 am

» Hello from nexus
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby noacctname1 Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:54 am

» Who Would Win: Ulysses or Joshua Graham?
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:06 pm

» The Next fallout
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 pm

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:55 pm

» Whats the Number 1 mod you really want? (NV)
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby CosmoMods Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:52 am

» Unpopular Opinion: Too many mods ruin the game
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby Evmeister Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:11 pm

» Guns you want in Fallout
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby Lupinboi Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:21 am

» black doors in sierra madre bug
Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Emptyby Wɪmzɪkl Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:27 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Voyevoda1

Voyevoda1

Character sheet
Name: Eli Sawyer
Faction: Independent
Level: 48

Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 pm

@"ahyuser001" I always thought that the vagueness of your character, and the nature in which he/she is introduced was better storytelling because like you said, it lets the player write the story. With the tie in at the end of Lonesome Road I feel like it tis your beginning and end togther. Allowing you to create your everything in between.

I think Fallout 3 works for TTW in that sense, I like being from the vault but by the end of New Vegas, you've lived in this guys shoes for hundreds of hours, decades of his life right through to the end. But in vanilla Fallout 3, the Vault intro and nackstory is very limiting.

I've only ever tried an alternate start mod with fallout 4, and due to how main character centric that game is, you can imagine how well it worked. Once i'm done with my current playthrough I'll probably do an alternate start, maybe just pick random and see where I end up.

"We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was ever good at...but atleast I fought for what I believed in."
Back to top Go down
https://account.xbox.com/en-gb/Profile?xr=mebarnav&rtc=1
McKaby

McKaby

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 11:21 am

I have to agree with you there Ahyuser, that is what makes Fallout New Vegas very good in my opinion, as it does allow you to roleplay a character rather than it be you playing a character's story.

I know people would bring it up, the original Fallout's where you played a character's story where well written, similar to the Witcher series (I never have gotten round to play the series.)
Back to top Go down
ahyuser001

ahyuser001

Character sheet
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 12:54 pm

@Voyevoda1 I am talking about it from the perspective of conventional story writing. Writing a vague character with a story that is all over the place that doesn't have a definitive conclusion to the plot would produce a bad conventional story however it also allows someone from the 3rd party, ie the reader/gamer, to run their imagination and add into the story which is essential to role playing.

You could say that in order to have a good RPG you have to write a bad story. I am not necessarily saying that writing a bad story in a game automatically makes it a good RPG however you have to break certain norms in story writing in order to create an excellent role playing experience.

Will there be enough Dakka?
Back to top Go down
Voyevoda1

Voyevoda1

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 1:10 pm

@"ahyuser001" yeah to that extent I would agree with you. Imersion, realism and role-playing comes from the player buying into the world that the game exists in, the plot and narritive comes afterwards.

RPG's prsent themselves in very different ways. One of my favourite ways to feel part of an RPG is that my decisions matter, the consequences of my actions ripple throughout the game world and the world is changed in someway by these choices. When you give the player choice, but the outcome is the same then it is just the illusion of choice. Fallout 3 is more guilty of the illusion of choice rather than actual choices. The ability to choose a faction, backstory and allegiance are more in lione with actual choice and consequence. Fallout 3 often feels like an expansive RPG but with blinders on.

"We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing I was ever good at...but atleast I fought for what I believed in."
Back to top Go down
Jcramos

Jcramos

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 1:38 pm

I would say the Fallout NV would best for roleplaying since the only thing that gives you the hint of what was your past was the Lonesome road dlc and the rest is just blank memory so you can build up anykind of backstory you want

While Fallout 3 your character will be remembered as the vault dweller and the rest of the story is just laid out
Back to top Go down
Voyevoda1

Voyevoda1

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 1:40 pm

@"Jcramos" The titles the game gives you are unavoidable. The Courier title isn't cool in itself, but what you make these titles mean is what gives them weight.

The sole Survivor was a terrible title though, all of them are brilliant except that one (The Chosen One probably being the best)

Back to top Go down
The Rabid Dog

The Rabid Dog

Character sheet
Name: Niko
Faction: Myself
Level: Over 9000 Chromosomes

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 5:40 pm

@Voyevoda1 The title isn't cool? Bruh we're the goddamn MAILMAN!! and we can blow up factions to the damn void if we wanted lmao.

Jokes aside, i think the title is kinda neat in the way of the setting we're put into, i mean, the wastes and all that, at least in this game we have a reason to be the errand boye.

Voyevoda1

Voyevoda1

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 5:53 pm

@"The Rabid Dog" I didn't mean to say that it wasn't cool, but in our understanding of what a courier is, mailman isn't that intimidating. The open endedness of the title give you room to make the name have a different meaning.

If you're a bitch pacifist courier who kicks about in a lab coat not shooting at anything. Then its not that imposing and never was meant to be. If you're some grizzled merc/bounty hunter who kills for thrills or caps, then courier doesn't seem so belittling.

Back to top Go down
The Rabid Dog

The Rabid Dog

Character sheet
Name: Niko
Faction: Myself
Level: Over 9000 Chromosomes

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 pm

@Voyevoda1 I mean, just look it from a "bizarre" standpoint, of all titles or names, who could've thought a mailman would come up to you and blow your brains out for some blue star sunset sarsaparillas caps?

Voyevoda1

Voyevoda1

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 6:35 pm

@"The Rabid Dog" " I'm the mailman, i'm here to deliver death. Sign here, ya bitch."

You can make fun out from anything. Mailman is vague enough.

Back to top Go down
McKaby

McKaby

Character sheet
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 3:17 am

Aye, basically this comic sums up the Courier character no matter how you play them, and is quite true.

As for the others, I agree that "The Survivor" is a bad name, F1 gave us "The Vault Dweller" though, but I see that as Albert Cole's story myself.
Back to top Go down
Voyevoda1

Voyevoda1

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 8:29 am

@"McKaby" That is amazing Laugh Out Loud

The Vault Dweller is classic as it comes though, The Chosen One probably still takes it.

Back to top Go down
gakusangi

gakusangi

Character sheet
Name: Vapor Snake
Faction: Dead Fox
Level: 1

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 7:51 pm

NV offers more opportunities for your invested stats to engage in situational interactions, there's more varied characters with a lot of interesting quests most of which have multiple approaches. Just take the opening town quest to see the full scope of all the options you have access to.
Back to top Go down
IIHawkerII

IIHawkerII

Character sheet
Name: Conroy El Cadera
Faction: Independant
Level: 49

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 12:52 pm

One is an iterative sequel of the other -
The question kind of answers itself.

And I find, on my way to death and happiness,
that my heroes, my heroes dress in black.
Back to top Go down
gakusangi

gakusangi

Character sheet
Name: Vapor Snake
Faction: Dead Fox
Level: 1

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 2:51 pm

IIHawkerII wrote:

Not necessarily, we do have Dark Souls 2 as an example of a sequel not really living up to the standards set by the previous installment. I think something similar happened to happened in the Dragon Age series too?
Back to top Go down
Voyevoda1

Voyevoda1

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 3:30 pm

gakusangi wrote:
IIHawkerII wrote:

Not necessarily, we do have Dark Souls 2 as an example of a sequel not really living up to the standards set by the previous installment.  I think something similar happened to happened in the Dragon Age series too?

Not necessarily, New Vegas, Darks Souls 2, Dragon Age 2, Bioshock 2 were all made by differet people from their predecessors. It's not about living to the standars of their previous installment, all these games mentioned were radically different from the original games because of the people involved in making them changed alongside the fact that the intention behind these gams were also radically different than the originals

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?   Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Which is a better RP game, FNV or FO3?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2