Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
Superpele wolfenstein vault Overhaul NPCs Reforged commonwealth ghoul hunk body daryl khan money Mask power mandalorian riot dead Call Ryse boom marvel boomers machine gauss Gear
Latest topics
» The Fallout TV show destroyed NV. I'm done with Todd.
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby professorlicme8 Yesterday at 23:32

» Hey everyone, I've missed this place so much.
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby Xehonort Yesterday at 13:33

» Not new, but been a long time
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby CrossDressiNate Yesterday at 5:20

» Hello, can anyone help me with the load order?
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby Elean Tue 30 Apr 2024 - 9:21

» Hey guys!!!
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby SilverInc Sun 28 Apr 2024 - 12:39

» The Legion are fascists, let's discuss it.
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby monke gaming Sat 27 Apr 2024 - 2:56

» A long overdue introduction
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby Athallah Akbar Thu 25 Apr 2024 - 11:46

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby Nicward Sat 20 Apr 2024 - 16:50

» Howdy from grandmastoes
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby Apoc Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 18:06

» armor slot changing in creation kit
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby Meno Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 8:22

» {Multi Choice POLL} Fallout 3 or Fallout NV music?
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby HardComma Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 19:42

» Hello from nexus
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby noacctname1 Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 1:54

» Who Would Win: Ulysses or Joshua Graham?
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby BellToadTall Wed 3 Apr 2024 - 16:06

» The Next fallout
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby BellToadTall Wed 3 Apr 2024 - 16:01

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby BellToadTall Wed 3 Apr 2024 - 15:55

» Whats the Number 1 mod you really want? (NV)
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby CosmoMods Mon 1 Apr 2024 - 20:52

» Unpopular Opinion: Too many mods ruin the game
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby Evmeister Sun 31 Mar 2024 - 11:11

» Guns you want in Fallout
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby Lupinboi Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 20:21

» black doors in sierra madre bug
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby Wɪmzɪkl Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 9:27

» Any Titanfall mods out their that have the female sniper armor?
Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Emptyby john96 Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 4:14

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Alien Lore! Yay or Nay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
someguynamedrob

someguynamedrob

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alien Lore! Yay or Nay?   Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 EmptySun 3 Oct 2021 - 17:46

spymuffin wrote:

Again, alien technology is the explicit basis of the Skynet supercomputer in Fallout 2.

Fallout 2 also introduced ghosts and the supernatural into the Fallout setting, and that, IMO, was also a mistake. Were the Dunwich quests interesting in FO3 and FO4? I enjoyed them as quests go (certainly more than the locket quest in FO2), but do they strengthen the core thematic arc of all 5 major titles? Not really, no.

No one ever said Black Isle was perfect in their writing.

Adding aliens as an influence behind the Great War (especially an important influence) undermines the central theme of conflict throughout history being cyclical due to an inherent flaw in human nature.

Keep the extra-terrestrial and supernatural as side content in a Wild Wasteland capacity by all means, but I'd rather that the game writers not fall back on "How do we explain <x>? ALIENS!" as a crutch.

Back to top Go down
themaster96

themaster96

PostSubject: Re: Alien Lore! Yay or Nay?   Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 EmptySun 3 Oct 2021 - 18:55

There is way to introduce aliens in the lore without breaking the main point of the franchise. if human nature will inherently lead to devastation, why wouldn't a more advanced species be able to exploit that? From what we know, the aliens are curious, if they were certain humans would destroy each other and wanted to test their hypothesis, they could have given it a "push".

But, it's subjective, people don't liking aliens in the Fallouit franchise as a whole is a subjective theme, some people will like, others won't. IMO, specially as an aspiring writer, plot can be interpreted into many distinct variations, there's no "correct answer".

Also, let's not forget, that there's also a chance Vault-Tec was responsible for the war, or at least, had a finger on it, following your logic, that would also undermine the whole "War never changes" concept, since, in the end, it wasn't human nature, but rather, the promisse of profit and the chance to run unethical experiments unhinged. The Enclave had a plan B which consisted in leaving Earth behind and collonizing another planet, Mars if I'm not mistaken, how to you think they got the technology necessary to allow for interplanetary travel? We know they knew about Aliens before the war, we have Skynet after all. In FO2, we also get the impression the crashed UFO was under military custody before it got "recovered" and dropped in the middle of the desert. You may not like it, but, at this point, we can no longer ignore the implications and call Aliens in Fallout a "gag", they're clearly part of the lore, whether we want or not, like T-60 Power Armor and fusion cores, I don't like it, but its part of the Lore now.
Back to top Go down
ButtMunch

ButtMunch

Character sheet
Name: Farmer With Shotgun
Faction: Vault 22
Level: 34

PostSubject: Re: Alien Lore! Yay or Nay?   Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 EmptyFri 4 Feb 2022 - 22:50

I think the alien lore should be expanded on but it should be subtle bits and pieces you find rarely in the game because I really like that the aliens are actually kind of a big thing in the fallout universe being behind a whole bunch of stuff in the fallout lore but no one really knows about them cuz obviously those lil green bastards can just skrrt away in their spaceships
Back to top Go down
vielas1

vielas1

Character sheet
Name: Vielas
Faction: Mechanist
Level: 250

PostSubject: Re: Alien Lore! Yay or Nay?   Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 EmptySun 27 Mar 2022 - 16:12

After mothership Zeta (and even more now with the F76 alien event), I don't think Bethesda takes the alie3ns too seriously or has any long-term plot plans for them, and they are more of a fun side element to the game. I really like them, but I think they are best used ask mysterious, like the crashes or the "ghost" versions in 76. Zeta kind of lifted the veil too far, and even though I loved that DLC, it really felt more like a mod than a formal DLC. I am sure that there are plenty of ways to expand on the premise, like having different aliens besides the zetans. I am also surprised that there are not more alien-themed mods, they have a lot of potentials to go nuts with weapons, monsters, locations, etc.
Back to top Go down
Portalboy

Portalboy

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Alien Lore! Yay or Nay?   Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 EmptyWed 6 Apr 2022 - 16:30

I've never really had problems with the Aliens in the Fallout series; I do appreciate how they're generally handled with a rather 1950s-60s B-movie sci-fi flair. That being said, I always hope that they're left on the sidelines; I feel they're best handled as a silly sideshow romp rather than a serious lore dig where they might dominate the narrative focus.

zombie123

PostSubject: Re: Alien Lore! Yay or Nay?   Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 EmptySat 15 Jul 2023 - 23:42

I really enjoy aliens whenever they pop up in Fallout. But I think they work best as just easter eggs or special-encounter type things. They are fun in small doses, but I think trying to really delve in explain what makes them tick would be a mistake. Partly because the ambiguity is what makes them interesting, but also because it may end up being too distracting given the nature of Fallout as a series. Its a reason why some folk find Mothership Zeta to be a bit jarring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alien Lore! Yay or Nay?   Alien Lore! Yay or Nay? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Alien Lore! Yay or Nay?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2