Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
hunk Gear Reforged wolfenstein Call daryl mandalorian riot Overhaul boom NPCs boomers ghoul body Ryse money Superpele dead gauss commonwealth marvel vault khan machine Mask power
Latest topics
» The Legion are fascists, let's discuss it.
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby monke gaming Today at 1:56 am

» A long overdue introduction
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby Athallah Akbar Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:46 am

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby Nicward Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:50 pm

» Howdy from grandmastoes
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby Apoc Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 pm

» armor slot changing in creation kit
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby Meno Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 am

» The Fallout TV show destroyed NV. I'm done with Todd.
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby gavin gold Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 am

» {Multi Choice POLL} Fallout 3 or Fallout NV music?
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby HardComma Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:42 pm

» Hello from nexus
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby noacctname1 Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:54 am

» Who Would Win: Ulysses or Joshua Graham?
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:06 pm

» The Next fallout
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:01 pm

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby BellToadTall Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:55 pm

» Whats the Number 1 mod you really want? (NV)
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby CosmoMods Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:52 pm

» Unpopular Opinion: Too many mods ruin the game
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby Evmeister Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:11 am

» Guns you want in Fallout
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby Lupinboi Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:21 pm

» black doors in sierra madre bug
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby Wɪmzɪkl Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:27 am

» Any Titanfall mods out their that have the female sniper armor?
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby john96 Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:14 am

» Modder looking for gun mods
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby Bset Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:33 am

» schorched enclave officer
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby Smash96 Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:13 am

» Sup everyone (link funny shorts here)
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby DHB00P Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:29 am

» Late Introduction
The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Emptyby Battleclad Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:29 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hoswae

Hoswae

The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Empty
PostSubject: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptySat May 09, 2020 5:23 pm

After doing a recent run of FNV and then reaching the end of the lonesome road I had come to the conclusion that Lonesome road was a bit disappointing. Though it did bring some of the most exciting weapons, armor, combat, and setting, it just felt as if it was missing something. Knowing the hardware limitations (memory space) at the time I'm left to think maybe they had a much bigger picture in the grand scheme of things. I think a lot of it was due to Ulysses being introduced (person to person) so late into the DLC, or it could've been the amount of foreshadowing done in the other DLC's, I was fully reeled in by Old World Blues that this mysterious figure was on a damn mission. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
RangerJosh

RangerJosh

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptySun May 10, 2020 4:00 am

I mean, if that's what you think about the DLC than that's ok.

Personally, I absolutely love Lonesome Road, and it may be my favourite DLC from FNV in general.

To begin with, I think Ulysses is such an interesting character and I like how you have to until the end of the storyline in order to get to him, and I personally don't think it would've worked as well if you saw him sooner. The entire overarching story behind all of the DLCs was meeting this man, this courier, and I think having him be the climax of the story was a great decision for the DLC. On top of that, any time you have conversations with him through ED-E, for me, it just helps to build character and backstory, not only for him, but for the main character as well, which I appreciate.

Lonesome Road as a DLC in general, to me, is pretty great. The Divide is one of, if not the most interesting location in all of FNV, and it's almost like a character in itself. The different creatures and scraps of lore you get about it, is class.

The new weapons, armour, and aid items are also a great addition, with stuff like the Red Glare, Riot Gear, and Auto Inject Stimpacks being a real stand out.

And also the ending has consequences for the game. You can either nuke the NCR, Legion, or sacrifice ED-E to save both of them, and it changes the locations in the game based on that.

So, to me, Lonesome Road is an amazing DLC, and Idk if I would change anything about it, but if you don't like it, hey ho that's your opinion Smile
Back to top Go down
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction: Dependent
Level: Basement

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptySun May 17, 2020 1:53 pm

From what I've read from various posts over the years, it really comes down to how you feel about Ulysses and how well the story he tells fits into your idea of your courier's past.
I thought for a long time during the DLC that Ulysses was actually meant to be nothing more than a ranting crazed madman who had me mistaken for someone else. I was actually disappointed as it dawned on me that perhaps the writers intended it all to be a canon truth.
Old World Blues was also my favorite, I think it was the most like something I'd have found in fallout 2.
Back to top Go down
gavin gold

gavin gold

Character sheet
Name: Gavin Gold
Faction: Mr. House
Level: 50

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptySun May 17, 2020 4:35 pm

Oh that's interesting. I actually though the opposite. In terms of weapons, armor and such I thought it was pretty underwhelming. I mean, I mostly use energy weapons and it added none. The weapons it did add I didn't find that exciting. And in terms of armor, I mean, dusters are pretty bad, the riot gear isn't that interesting (power armor is better for close combat, and the stealth suit is better for sneaking). the rewards look nice but aren't very useful and it sucks that you can only get the one of the opposing faction.

However, I really liked the story of the crazed legionnaire out for revenge. It made for an awesome antagonist.
Back to top Go down
Dewderson

Dewderson

Character sheet
Name: Boon
Faction: None
Level: 37

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptyMon May 18, 2020 3:47 am

Hoswae wrote:
Though it did bring some of the most exciting weapons, armor...

Came to that conclusion without finishing it and walked out after grabbing some loot. Now I just use it as a kickstart on every playthrough. Grab riot armor and leave.

sandtwister200

Character sheet
Name: Raul Alfonso Tejada
Faction: Black Mountain
Level: 30

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptyMon May 18, 2020 3:59 am

A great DLC that offers some fantastic new content. For me personally, I felt it was short and linear, unlike OWB and Honest Hearts. I loved the DLC and always play it first on my playthrough so I can nuke both the NCR and Legion to get my hands on some high tech weapons.

njmanga097

njmanga097

Character sheet
Name: Captain Wick
Faction: Wildfire
Level:

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptyMon May 18, 2020 8:15 am

It sounds like you got hyped up so much as to who Ulysses is thanks to OWB. Personally though, I would have loved it more if the area was a bit more open for exploration because out of all the dlcs for new vegas this is the most linear in design. It's essentially a big straight corridor unlike OWB, HH, and DM which were fully explorable maps with areas that require effort to go to. I still find it cool that in specific parts of Lonesome Road, you can see Ulysses watching you from a distance and walking away once you reach a certain distance.

Can't deny it that the Elite Riot Gear is still an awesome looking armor after all these years.
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/noel.manga.art
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptyMon May 18, 2020 8:59 am

I somehow missed every reference to Ulysses in previous Dlcs, or didn't connect the dots. Not sure how or why. To me, he was nothing but an insane annoying voice and the DLC seemed nothing more than a linear tunnel to charge forward, shooting and shooting... for some reason. My motivation for moving further along the linear line was nothing more than "well, I paid for this." Otherwise, I would have shrugged and thought, "Why keep trudging forward with my fire button pressed?"
Some of the ruins and such made for a really great set-piece though, and I wish they'd been used to create something a little more diverse, like a settlement of ghouls or something who were survivors, with a "quest hub" to work from, rather than what was often just a linear tunnel.
Back to top Go down
Tribal Raven

Tribal Raven

Character sheet
Name: Jack
Faction: No Gods, No Masters

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptyMon May 18, 2020 10:21 am

I view LR as the climax to the narrative the game lays out over the course of the previous 3 DLCs and the MQ.

For me, it is the penultimate confrontation before Hoover Dam and it's a chance for my Courier to truly be retrospective of their past. Whether they choose to accept Ulysses' accusations against them or not.

The finale, with the launch of the rocket, also I believe solidifies the Courier's final position before they battle at Hoover Dam, completing the story and their character arc.

I agree that it felt linear and emphasized way to much on shooting, but I don't view the dlc as "something new," rather the semi-conclusion or "final boss before the final boss" of FNV.

Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptyMon May 18, 2020 10:34 am

Amazing; I saw him not as a final confrontation that had been building up, but literally just a random nobody. After a few listening to a seemingly meaningless messages from him, I tuned him out. It felt so anti-climatic for the game to end with a battle against a random rambling idiot who thought I was someone else.
Maybe I need to go back and play again looking at it through a different eye, looking for those details.
Back to top Go down
Tribal Raven

Tribal Raven

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptyMon May 18, 2020 10:41 am

I highly recommend playing the game as the "Courier" he thinks you are.

It really is cool to see the emotional depth of Ulysses and his hatred for you over the course of the game in that context. It makes the final confrontation much more meaningful and heart wrenching because you truly did "steal" Ulysses' life away from him, the home he had longed for and got after escaping Caesar.

If you choose to play as someone who did not do the acts that Ulysses is hunting you for, it's still just as scary. There are hints and messages spread across the entire game that show Ulysses is stalking you around the Mojave as you are tracking him down as well.

Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptyMon May 18, 2020 11:06 am

Now I really wish the intro had described the courier with this past history, instead of going on about the legion and NCR (groups you can ask about in the game almost right away anyway.) Telling me about this past, making it canon, right from the beginning would have made a big difference for me, huge.
Back to top Go down
Tribal Raven

Tribal Raven

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming EmptyMon May 18, 2020 11:17 am

Ehh, I’m glad they didn’t establish it as canon.

Making the Courier’s past ambiguous is what makes FNV so good. You literally can be whoever you want and Ulysses might be a raving lunatic depending on the past you’ve chosen.

Helps with replayability

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming   The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming Empty

Back to top Go down

The Lonesome road DLC is underwhelming

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1