Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
wolfenstein khan Reforged Gear daryl Superpele money machine riot commonwealth body mandalorian dead boom power boomers hunk Call Overhaul ghoul Mask NPCs marvel gauss vault Ryse
Latest topics
» The Legion are fascists, let's discuss it.
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby monke gaming Today at 6:56 pm

» A long overdue introduction
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby Athallah Akbar Yesterday at 3:46 am

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby Nicward Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:50 am

» Howdy from grandmastoes
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby Apoc Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:06 am

» armor slot changing in creation kit
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby Meno Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:22 am

» The Fallout TV show destroyed NV. I'm done with Todd.
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby gavin gold Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:22 am

» {Multi Choice POLL} Fallout 3 or Fallout NV music?
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby HardComma Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:42 am

» Hello from nexus
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby noacctname1 Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:54 pm

» Who Would Win: Ulysses or Joshua Graham?
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby BellToadTall Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:06 am

» The Next fallout
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby BellToadTall Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:01 am

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby BellToadTall Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:55 am

» Whats the Number 1 mod you really want? (NV)
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby CosmoMods Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:52 pm

» Unpopular Opinion: Too many mods ruin the game
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby Evmeister Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:11 am

» Guns you want in Fallout
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby Lupinboi Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:21 pm

» black doors in sierra madre bug
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby Wɪmzɪkl Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:27 am

» Any Titanfall mods out their that have the female sniper armor?
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby john96 Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:14 pm

» Modder looking for gun mods
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby Bset Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:33 am

» schorched enclave officer
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby Smash96 Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:13 pm

» Sup everyone (link funny shorts here)
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby DHB00P Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:29 pm

» Late Introduction
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Emptyby Battleclad Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:29 am

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Is Fallout 2 worth it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wjeeheh

Wjeeheh

Is Fallout 2 worth it? Empty
PostSubject: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptyWed Apr 08, 2020 7:01 am

I've had a very limited experience with Fallout 2 mainly because when I first played it I found it clunky and I found turn-based combat
unenjoyable (this is down due to my own impatience, I can't fault an old game for being outdated) and I quit soon after I started playing the game. I have heard from people that it matches or even surpasses Fallout New Vegas in some areas. (lore, story, decisions) I really have been enjoying New Vegas lately and I was wondering if I should and give FO2 another shot or is there not enough in Fallout 2 that I can't already experience in New Vegas. I would rather have opinions on the lore and story aspects of Fallout 2 rather than the gameplay as those are the aspects that I care most about.

Please note that this is not about Fallout: NV or Fallout 2 being better than each other, just about whether Fallout 2 is different enough from New Vegas to be worth playing.
Back to top Go down
Sonichu_fanboy

Sonichu_fanboy

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptyWed Apr 08, 2020 7:24 am

Play Fallout 1 first, and if you like it, then you will like fallout 2. Fallout 1 is very short, by fallout standards, so you should be able to finish it in no time, a day, even. Fallout 2 is more of that. If dialogue makes your head hurt, you should try fallout: tactics, a game without any pesky speech skills or reading, and lots of shooty-shooty. If you like the combat mechanics of that game(the turn based mode, not real time mode), then the oldschool games use the exact same system, and maybe you can give it a go then

If that's not the case, and you're simply looking for lore, I suggest looking at a walkthru of those 2 games on youtube, at least. I should mention that fallout 2 is notoriously broken and buggy, you should install the unofficial patch, at least, and I heavily recommend the mod that adds in a lot of cut content as well. Both should be available on No Mutants Allowed. Your bad memories might simply come from an unpatched copy of fallout 2, which is as broken, if not more so, than an unpatched copy of fallout new vegas, which, at the end of the day, is still a great game, fallout 2 is a lot like that(Fallout 1 is very stable, by fallout standards, altho there is also a conversion for it, "fallout fixt", which I also very much suggest, if you will play that one)

PhDBagel

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptyWed Apr 08, 2020 9:53 am

Since you mentioned that lore and story are what you care about, then yes, I would say FO2 is definitely worth it. It has some great characters and really develops the setting. In addition to that it introduces and develops both the NCR and Enclave, two factions that have become very important in the Fallout lore.
Even if you struggle with the gameplay, I would at least recommend watching a walkthrough of the game if you still want to get the story and lore
Back to top Go down
mikeee1111

mikeee1111

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 8:04 pm

If my memory is right, you can still play Fallout 2 after the ending while you can't on Fallout.
In my opinion, it's interesting to know, some people (like me) prefers to still be able to play after the end.

Also, not lot of people liked it but there is Fallout Tactics that is fun if you're looking for more Fallout and don't mislead it with Fallout Tactics Brotherhood of Steel.

- Gandalf the Bla- I mean the white.
Is Fallout 2 worth it? Source
Back to top Go down
Niar26

Niar26

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 am

Play Fallout 1 (with the mods).
Play fallout 1.5
Play Fallout 2 (with the restoration mods)

Enjoy a thrilling experience i wish i never had, so i could experiment it the first time again

Evmeister

Evmeister

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 8:03 am

I had honestly played Fallout 2 and then I went to Fallout 1. Both great games and the atmosphere is something Bethesda hasn't been able to nail down in their new games. I got hooked into using the map editor and had a lot of fun with that on Fallout 2. I imported the Mariposa from Fallout 1 into Fallout 2 and was working on restoring all the systems. Would have made an amazing home base.

Fallout Tactics was fun too and an adjustment from turn based, I started playing with mods on that game too.

IRORIEH

IRORIEH

Character sheet
Name: Booker
Faction: The highest bidder
Level: 21

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2020 9:16 am

Definite recommendation from me. It's the most wacky and fun fallout from a storytelling and rpg perspective. It also enhances FNV in that you'll notice the massive amount of references to places and events in Fallout 2 sprinkled throughout the game.

My only warning would be don't go into it expecting Fallout 3 style onwards, it's a very different game. I know you said no gameplay but it's pretty important, as Fallout 2's intro can be a little overwhelming, and slightly off putting. I'd recommend playing 1 first, it serves as a more natural introduction to the old school gameplay. 2 is more of a refined concept of that style.

Back to top Go down
frankhorigan2

frankhorigan2

Character sheet
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptySat Oct 31, 2020 11:38 pm

I'm kinda late to the party but i have to say yes m yes it is worth it m especially with the restoration mod . it has very fun quests , a great main story , various quality of life improvements over fo1 and tons of ways to roleplay . it may look a bit dated and the difficulty can be unforgiving at times but it's still a blast to play through
Back to top Go down
Sirdanest

Sirdanest

Character sheet
Faction: Dependent
Level: Basement

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptySun Nov 01, 2020 4:21 am

In the old days there was less hand-holding. It's theoretically possible to get through the early fallouts with a sub-optimal character, but it's not necessarily easy.
The starting skills you take can end up being an accidental hard-mode. No combat skills can really mean no combat skills, unlike skyrim or fallout4 where you're basically going to tear through many of the enemies no matter what your starting character is.
Morrowind was like that too... if your starting skills were acrobatics, repair, and mercantile, you were in for a much rougher ride.
It doesn't warn you ahead of time, but energy weapons and heavy weapons are late game weapons. A simple laser is almost a legendary, near-mythological "light bringer."
That being said, I started with fallout 2 back in 1999 or so. I don't remember why. It just was the one on the shelf, I think. It set my entire idea of how falllout should be.
But anyway, if you don't like turn-based rpgs, don't bother, this probably won't change your mind. Te follower AI is also incredibly bad. Do not give them automatic weapons, they will spray them and kill you and each other.
Back to top Go down
Lord Darx

Lord Darx

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2020 6:51 am

While Fallout 2 is a great RPG i would recommend playing fallout 1 first, as it is fair easier and a great introduction to mechanics and thereof, also the tutorial in fallout 2 is horrible
Back to top Go down
frankhorigan2

frankhorigan2

Character sheet
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Lord Darx wrote:
While Fallout 2 is a great RPG i would recommend playing fallout 1 first, as it is fair easier and a great introduction to mechanics and thereof, also the tutorial in fallout 2 is horrible
Honestly i'm one of those few people that prefer fallout 1 to fo2 , while it was a smaller game with some glitches and thechnical problems , i absolutely loved the story and bleak atmosphere of the game which no other fallout game had ( i still remember the dread i've felt going to the glow on my first time there)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Fallout 2 worth it?   Is Fallout 2 worth it? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Fallout 2 worth it?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1