Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
hunk Mask marvel vault Call Overhaul Gear body ghoul boom commonwealth wolfenstein mandalorian riot khan money boomers daryl machine Reforged Superpele dead NPCs Ryse gauss power
Latest topics
» A long overdue introduction
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Athallah Akbar Yesterday at 1:46 am

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Nicward Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:50 am

» Howdy from grandmastoes
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Apoc Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:06 am

» armor slot changing in creation kit
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Meno Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:22 pm

» The Fallout TV show destroyed NV. I'm done with Todd.
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby gavin gold Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:22 pm

» {Multi Choice POLL} Fallout 3 or Fallout NV music?
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby HardComma Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:42 am

» Hello from nexus
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby noacctname1 Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:54 pm

» Who Would Win: Ulysses or Joshua Graham?
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby BellToadTall Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:06 am

» The Next fallout
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby BellToadTall Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:01 am

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby BellToadTall Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:55 am

» Whats the Number 1 mod you really want? (NV)
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby CosmoMods Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:52 am

» Unpopular Opinion: Too many mods ruin the game
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Evmeister Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:11 am

» Guns you want in Fallout
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Lupinboi Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:21 am

» black doors in sierra madre bug
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Wɪmzɪkl Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:27 am

» Any Titanfall mods out their that have the female sniper armor?
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby john96 Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:14 pm

» Modder looking for gun mods
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Bset Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:33 pm

» schorched enclave officer
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Smash96 Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:13 pm

» Sup everyone (link funny shorts here)
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby DHB00P Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:29 pm

» Late Introduction
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Battleclad Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:29 am

» Greetings!
Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Emptyby Primus_Daibhidh Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:01 am

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Judge Redd

Judge Redd

Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Empty
PostSubject: Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001)   Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 am

Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) 9f26f811

Hello Ladies and Gents

This week on the Tombstone Review, we are covering a movie recommended by @Hoppyhead . A movie based on a story by author H.P. Lovecraft that also inspired the Elder Scrolls Oblivion quest "Shadow over Hack Dirt". Today we are covering Stuart Gordon's 2001 movie "Dagon".  For any and all Lovecraft fans out there, I will start us all in welcoming the dark lord Dagon by saying "Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!".

"We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

Genre: This movie is inspired by the works of Horror Writer H.P. Lovecraft, and like many of his writings, its genre is Supernatural. However, Lovecraftian horror is a subgenre of horror that emphasizes cosmic horror more than gore or shock. Cosmic horror is the fear of the unknown or that which we cannot understand completely. With this in mind, the movie is actually pretty good at exploring the body horror element that comes with the subject matter. While the effects are not amazing, the makeup is what really got my attention in this movie, as it is very impressive in some cases, but not in all.

Basic Plot: After what can only be assumed was a boating accident during a storm near the coast of an unknown Spanish town, a young man and woman come ashore in search for help. Here in this strange and decaying Spanish fishing town, they find themselves in the grips of a cult that worships an ancient and powerful sea god, and its horrific half human offspring. Can they survive and get away from the villagers before the ritual? Or are they doomed to become two more victims of the villagers and their strange and mysterious sea god?

Level of Blood and Gore: Despite what I thought in this first 20 minutes of the film, this actually has some good blood and gore in it. No shots of organs of anything like that, but we do see skin peeled off a man’s face, and faces hanging from the walls of one building. There is a couple of stabbings as well, and someone being gutted like a fish. (This was actually a happy accident that I refuse to take out).
If you are a Splatter fan, you may find enjoyment with some parts of this movie, but by no means is it “Hellraiser”, or a Croneberg movie. If you enjoy cosmic horror, you will enjoy this movie however.

Kills: Without spoiling too much of this movie for you, I will tell you that the body count is low. But that is to be expected in a movie like this. However, these deaths vary from being gutted, to being flayed. While there isn’t much variety, some of these victims actually show relief upon their death that gives the viewers a bit of uneasiness. You find yourself asking, what has happened to these people? What have they seen? That resulted in their complete relief upon dying.

Setting: The movie takes place primarily in the village or the town, which is populated by strange and off putting villagers, some of which are the offspring of the Sea God. The atmosphere is tense and dark, but also uses blue lighting and rain to give it an almost wet atmosphere. I found you could get a real damp feeling from watching this movie, but also felt like the stench of fish was in the air during the initial arrival scene for the couple. Something that I noticed that impressed me was the fact that during the movie, the main character finds himself surrounded by water almost constantly through his escape.

How it racks up: Upon watching this film the first time, I found that this film was a rather fun and interesting approach to the topic of cosmic horror. There is a kind of Frankenstein’s monster vibe to how the villagers chase the man through his hotel, but also an ironic feeling in the sense that he is a human being chased by monsters. Its CGI is what you can expect from a movie that was made in 2001, but there isn’t a lot of it so you won’t have to worry about seeing too much of that. That is to say, that the CGI is by no means as bad as it could have been, but still noticeable. This should not steer you away from the movie however, since it does get rather enjoyable as it goes on. However, I don’t think that it racks up really well with the cosmic horror movies of Today. Having just seen the 2016 movie “The Void”, before watching Dagon, I found myself saying that this doesn’t really hold up too well. Don’t get me wrong, the movie is both enjoyable and fascinating, but the sense of dread doesn’t really appear until part way through the movie. Would I still recommend watching it? Yes, because while it is with its flaws, there is good in its depiction of the story it and Oblivion’s “Shadow over Hack dirt” is based on. If you enjoyed that Quest, and like the sound of a movie version, be sure to check this movie out.

OverMark: 6/10
This movie is rather enjoyable, but still has its faults. If your looking for a movie thats pretty simple to follow, and one where you can admire the color and the story than this is for you. Add to the fact the make up, costumes, and some of story is fascinating then you have a pretty watchable movie. The best part about this move is that the atmosphere itself draws you in and intrigues you as the story progresses. A good cosmic horror movie, we are given just the right amount of mystery and uneasiness that keep us interested, however the interest only really begins to occur once things start to get tense.

This movie is rated R for Mature Audiences, due to its violent imagery, gore, and nudity. You have been warned.

Remember if you have a movie or Tv show you want me to review, stick it down below in the comment section.

Last edited by ZombieRedNeck on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
botanicbubbles

botanicbubbles

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001)   Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 11:43 am

I watched this one on Youtube a couple years back expecting a total shitshow, but man was I pleasantly surprised. The face scene was incredible.

Judge Redd

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001)   Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 1:35 am

@botanicbubbles That it was and rather surprising in my opinion, was not expecting that level of make up for this movie.
Back to top Go down
Hoppyhead

Hoppyhead

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001)   Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 2:06 am

Yes! Thanks for reviewing Dagon. So happy you enjoyed it. I enjoyed reading your review!

Judge Redd

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001)   Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 9:04 pm

@Hoppyhead Happy to do it Hoppy. I was very pleased to get a recommendation, and did enjoy the film more so than I believed I would.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001)   Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001) Empty

Back to top Go down

Tombstone Review: Dagon (2001)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1