Gaming Underground Network

Come for the Mods, Stay for the Community!

HomeCalendarInterviewsFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Info Panel
Stay Connected

_
October 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Book recommendations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gunnermod266

PostSubject: Re: Book recommendations?   Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:57 am

You should read through the Artemis Fowl series of book.
Artemis Fowl, a twelve-year-old criminal mastermind, as he kidnaps a fairy for a large ransom of 24 carat gold with the help of his bodyguard, Domovoi Butler and his sister, Juliet Butler, to restore the Fowl family fortune.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kangarooroo

PostSubject: Re: Book recommendations?   Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:55 pm

I recently got into Steven Erikson's Malazan Empire after ostentatiously typing "books better than Game of Thrones" in the search engine -- mind you, I really like Martin, too! I have read up until book six, "The Bonehunters" so far. It absolutely outstanding so far. Although it may discouraging for some since you really have to read the first 2-3 volumes to really grasp the story, I highly recommend it. It is some of the best fantasy I've read in years. I am also concurrently reading Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, currently being on "Before They Are Hanged". It's not epic fantasy -- it features less characters and subplots, but the ones present are really well fleshed out and I must give credit to the author for his ability of craftily using gritty atmosphere (recently highly overused, in my humble opinion, in any genre, not just fantasy) without being cartoonish. I am also really looking forward to reading the new Ralph McQuarrie book by Brandon Alinger.

----
I couldn't also NOT recommend Hanya Yanagihara's "A Little Life" which I believe to be one of those one in a decade titles: it's a really hard read and the catharsis at the end is debatable -- if not delusional, but I believe it's on the way to become a classic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Book recommendations?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2