Come for the Mods, Stay for the Community!

HomeCalendarInterviewsFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Info Panel
Stay Connected

_
July 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

[BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dragbody

Character sheet
Name: Riddick
Faction: I bow to no man.
Level: Animal

PostSubject: [BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues   Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:33 am

Hello GUNners! Big Hello Smiley

A friend of mine who I met during my time in San Francisco has just published (as co-editor) a book titled Queer Game Studies.

LINK: QUEER GAME STUDIES

Please follow the link and check it out if you have any interest in LGBTQ rights, issues, or the intersection of gender and gaming.

Let me hear what you think! I can pass your feedback along to my friend. If there is interest, I will offer copies of this book to friends or as prizes in future GUN contests.

A book like this sheds valuable light on how to approach/understand gaming and gender politics in the 21st century. Thumbs Up cheers

This should go without saying, but homophobic or otherwise insensitive jokes or comments are unwelcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nukacide

Character sheet
Name: ʜᴀᴡᴋ
Faction: ᴍᴇʀᴄᴇɴᴀʀʏ
Level: ∞

PostSubject: Re: [BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues   Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:44 am

Games and politics don't mix in my opinion. We would end up forgetting why games were made in the first place.

Last edited by Nukacide on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dragbody

Character sheet
Name: Riddick
Faction: I bow to no man.
Level: Animal

PostSubject: Re: [BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues   Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:12 am

@Nukacide wrote:
Games and politics don't mix in my opinion. We would end up losing what games are meant for in the first place.

Let's not mix up what I mean by "gender politics" and just regular ol' politics. When I say "gender politics," I'm simply referring to the way that people think about gender and the way cis-gendered people relate with others who are different.

It's not about "games and politics" mixing or not mixing. The fact is that there are LGBTQ characters in games and the way they are portrayed--whether explicit or implicit--is a statement about gender.

I'm simply recommending this book to anyone who wants to stop and think about the issues involved--I'm not trying to address the issues here. I don't want to start a debate and if this topic turns into one, then it will get shut down. So let's not go there.

Last edited by dragbody on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nukacide

Character sheet
Name: ʜᴀᴡᴋ
Faction: ᴍᴇʀᴄᴇɴᴀʀʏ
Level: ∞

PostSubject: Re: [BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues   Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:14 am

@dragbody Thanks for clarifying.

PostSubject: Re: [BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues   Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 am

@dragbody look at ME:A or Baldur's Gate II I hate to say it but one is becoming completely intertwined with the other, and it's damaging gaming.

Corvo

Character sheet
Name: Corvo
Faction:
Level: Colonial

PostSubject: Re: [BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues   Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:26 am

Yeah, I haven't read it so your friend might have some great points, but honestly I think that when games take gender and sexuality politics too far it ruins their games because they are trying to appease an audience that isn't just gamers. It's the same when movies try to shove ethic backgrounds down viewers throats as well.

Just saying, when companies try the "we are tolerant" routine it usually doesn't work out in their favour.

Character sheet
Name: Sharpshooter
Faction: Freelance
Level: 35

PostSubject: Re: [BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues   Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:13 am

@Corvo wrote:

Just saying, when companies try the "we are tolerant" routine it usually doesn't work out in their favour.

You're right! Tolerant companies try to collect "different" people and give them a game developemnt just because they are different, not because they had enthusiam, previous developemnt expirience, etc. Like the situation with ME: A.

I'm very tolerant and want that others peoples respect some otheres not like them but in game/cinema industries it's become the reason to over overestimate the final product that was made by "different" people or which include "different" people.

@dragbody Thanks for your recommendation, i'll take a look.

Character sheet
Name: Goofknuckle
Faction: Unaffliated
Level: N/A

PostSubject: Re: [BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues   Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:23 am

I defer to SargonOfAkkad where aspects of Gamergate is concerned.
I'm not against salient issues surrounding LGBTQ 'community', I have family who are part of it, but I prefer to focus on real issues like those found in undeveloped countries than the low-hanging fruit 'issues' in the Western world. Gaming and Hollywood has become really dull because of the incessant need to please everyone.

MY MODS:

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHermit
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues   

Back to top Go down

[BOOK] Recommended for those interested in LGBTQ issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gaming Underground Network :: Workshops :: Literature-