Gaming Underground Network

Come for the Mods, Stay for the Community!
 
HomeCalendarFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Info Panel
________________

Profile Image Guidelines
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BallistaEd87



Posts : 70
Join date : 2016-03-10
Age : 29
Location : California

PostSubject: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:40 pm

Hello everyone. I am fairly new into VGU and so far I am liking it. I am engaged in some discussion here and enjoy responding to interesting topics here. I have had some forum management but not quite as big as this and plus it was more for something else. Here is a little background about myself. I mainly game on consoles (Xbox 360 and Xbox one). Games that I play are fallout games, dark souls, Skyrim, and destiny. But my main games that I play competitively sometimes is halo and call of duty games. So when I am taking a break from those games I play fallout 3 or New Vegas or Skyrim. I love those games very much.

I like the stories behind them and how you can build your character a certain way. Then I discovered that there are mods for these games. I was fascinated by how modders built armors and weapons from different games or added their own uniqueness into both existing and new design armor and weapons. There was so much awesomeness going on but soon figured out it was only for PC. The only closest thing I did to modding was using a save editor along with moddio and horizon to transfer saves.

I've been looking into PC builds and have come across some really nice and expensive ones. Even the gaming laptops were tad bit expensive but not a whole to work with in terms of graphics card and processing speeds. What I want is a gaming laptop. I don't want a tower because I don't want to cram up my room even more until I move somewhere else more spacious lol. But anyways I would like to ask you guys and gals, what is good gaming laptop so that I can play fallout games with and without mods without the game and laptop crashing on me? What kind of specs should it have or need to look for to play these games smoothly?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
OverTheTop123



Posts : 287
Join date : 2014-05-09
Age : 20
Location : Arizona

Character sheet
Name: Agent Ming
Faction: Chinese Remnants/The Shi
Level: 23

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:57 pm

Welcome friend! As far as gaming laptops go, I've heard about this one. The video is a few months old so it is probably also more polished than before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElderFreak



Posts : 359
Join date : 2014-10-03
Age : 23
Location : The boring state of Connecticut

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:59 pm

Here's a good setup.

_________________
Love DJ Khaled, Always.
The DJ Khaled Documentary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallistaEd87



Posts : 70
Join date : 2016-03-10
Age : 29
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:51 am

@OverTheTop123 wrote:
Welcome friend! As far as gaming laptops go, I've heard about this one. The video is a few months old so it is probably also more polished than before.

This looks good and the price is pretty good thank you. Although I still wonder how well this will play fallout games with and without mods. Like I have some knowledge of the cpu's and gpu's, im still maybe lacking some knowledge as to how well this will run games. Plus, this site is what is making me sort of hesitate with this gaming laptop.

Fallout 4 system requirements


@ElderFreak wrote:
Here's a good setup.

This setup looks good and will most likely have to gather money to make this build and get help installing it. Good video and very detailed. But not really looking for a tower build atm. I am looking for a gaming laptop. My room is small and adding a tower will make it slightly crowded and most likely will not get enough ventilation. So until I move in somewhere more roomy, I will definitely make a build. But for now, I require a good gaming laptop that can run games like fallout without crashing and burning on me lol.


Edit by Torki
Merged double post and moved to the Welcome section, by the way welcome! Hugging
Back to top Go down
View user profile
William Lionheart



Posts : 1054
Join date : 2015-09-23
Age : 24
Location : Antwerp

Character sheet
Name: Siegrain
Faction:
Level: 56

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:53 pm

SALUTATIONS FRIEND and welcome to the community!
It is true we have amazing mods that change the very games you play, into something new and awesome!

Hope you get a good gaming laptop soon so you can join in the wonders of PC modding!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evmeister



Posts : 627
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 28
Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:12 pm

I mean this will all due respect, you would be cheating yourself if you decided to get a gaming laptop now if you might find space later. You will pay the premium to get the same performance level as a desktop, in a laptop. I'm sure you're aware of this. However You can get a medium sized tower and still do good.

If you're serious about PC Gaming I would wait and get a desktop, also build your own, there will be more work and possible frustration in it, but you'll come out with a more thorough understanding of your system. I had one built for me and I now wish I built my own. You'll save money that way too.

In any event Toms Hardware is an excellent website to get help with anything computer related, including Laptop recommendations. Pc Part Picker is a great resource if you're building your own desktop rig. Video Ram, System Ram, and Processor Speed are going to be the big things that determine how well and how high of settings you can play games like Fallout. There are other factors but those are the big three. Luckily most current laptops should handle FO3 and FNV just fine.

Also from personal experience, if you get a laptop that you'll use for gaming, make sure to get a cooling pad for it.

Best of luck!

_________________
Appleseed Alpha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stormlord



Posts : 253
Join date : 2015-06-19
Location : BG - Italy

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:49 pm

@BallistaEd87 wrote:
Hello everyone. I am fairly new into VGU and so far I am liking it. I am engaged in some discussion here and enjoy responding to interesting topics here. I have had some forum management but not quite as big as this and plus it was more for something else. Here is a little background about myself. I mainly game on consoles (Xbox 360 and Xbox one). Games that I play are fallout games, dark souls, Skyrim, and destiny. But my main games that I play competitively sometimes is halo and call of duty games. So when I am taking a break from those games I play fallout 3 or New Vegas or Skyrim. I love those games very much.

I like the stories behind them and how you can build your character a certain way. Then I discovered that there are mods for these games. I was fascinated by how modders built armors and weapons from different games or added their own uniqueness into both existing and new design armor and weapons. There was so much awesomeness going on but soon figured out it was only for PC. The only closest thing I did to modding was using a save editor along with moddio and horizon to transfer saves.

I've been looking into PC builds and have come across some really nice and expensive ones. Even the gaming laptops were tad bit expensive but not a whole to work with in terms of graphics card and processing speeds. What I want is a gaming laptop. I don't want a tower because I don't want to cram up my room even more until I move somewhere else more spacious lol. But anyways I would like to ask you guys and gals, what is good gaming laptop so that I can play fallout games with and without mods without the game and laptop crashing on me? What kind of specs should it have or need to look for to play these games smoothly?



How much money do you want to spend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abazor



Posts : 89
Join date : 2014-10-11
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:23 pm

Just like a few of the other posters here, I'd advise against a gaming laptop and go for a desktop instead. There are just too many issues with gaming laptops. If you're concerned about space, look up a mATX build. But if you really want a laptop I think Sager and Asus make good gaming laptops.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallistaEd87



Posts : 70
Join date : 2016-03-10
Age : 29
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:26 am

@Evmeister wrote:
I mean this will all due respect, you would be cheating yourself if you decided to get a gaming laptop now if you might find space later. You will pay the premium to get the same performance level as a desktop, in a laptop. I'm sure you're aware of this. However You can get a medium sized tower and still do good.

If you're serious about PC Gaming I would wait and get a desktop, also build your own, there will be more work and possible frustration in it, but you'll come out with a more thorough understanding of your system. I had one built for me and I now wish I built my own. You'll save money that way too.

In any event Toms Hardware is an excellent website to get help with anything computer related, including Laptop recommendations. Pc Part Picker is a great resource if you're building your own desktop rig. Video Ram, System Ram, and Processor Speed are going to be the big things that determine how well and how high of settings you can play games like Fallout. There are other factors but those are the big three. Luckily most current laptops should handle FO3 and FNV just fine.

Also from personal experience, if you get a laptop that you'll use for gaming, make sure to get a cooling pad for it.

Best of luck!


*post 2
@BallistaEd87 wrote:
@Abazor wrote:
Just like a few of the other posters here, I'd advise against a gaming laptop and go for a desktop instead. There are just too many issues with gaming laptops. If you're concerned about space, look up a mATX build. But if you really want a laptop I think Sager and Asus make good gaming laptops.


This is something I am not aware of regarding gaming laptop issues so I want to know what kind from experience but I will also look into as well. My whole reason why I want a gaming laptop is for portability and of course because, it doesn't take much space. I will look into the mATX build and see what they got. Sager and Asus are really good but Sager is top notch and maybe too expensive. Thanks for the advice.


*post 3
@BallistaEd87 wrote:
@Stormlord wrote:
@BallistaEd87 wrote:
Hello everyone. I am fairly new into VGU and so far I am liking it. I am engaged in some discussion here and enjoy responding to interesting topics here. I have had some forum management but not quite as big as this and plus it was more for something else. Here is a little background about myself. I mainly game on consoles (Xbox 360 and Xbox one). Games that I play are fallout games, dark souls, Skyrim, and destiny. But my main games that I play competitively sometimes is halo and call of duty games. So when I am taking a break from those games I play fallout 3 or New Vegas or Skyrim. I love those games very much.

I like the stories behind them and how you can build your character a certain way. Then I discovered that there are mods for these games. I was fascinated by how modders built armors and weapons from different games or added their own uniqueness into both existing and new design armor and weapons. There was so much awesomeness going on but soon figured out it was only for PC. The only closest thing I did to modding was using a save editor along with moddio and horizon to transfer saves.

I've been looking into PC builds and have come across some really nice and expensive ones. Even the gaming laptops were tad bit expensive but not a whole to work with in terms of graphics card and processing speeds. What I want is a gaming laptop. I don't want a tower because I don't want to cram up my room even more until I move somewhere else more spacious lol. But anyways I would like to ask you guys and gals, what is good gaming laptop so that I can play fallout games with and without mods without the game and laptop crashing on me? What kind of specs should it have or need to look for to play these games smoothly?



How much money do you want to spend?

My budget on this is between $1000 to $1200 but willing to spend a little more.

*Edit by Cpt.Rex
please avoid to make multiple posts at once. if you have to say something else after you have posted use the edit function or wait until someone else maded a post. its the second time you have done this. please be more carefull next time. -rex



Last edited by Cpt.Rex on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : reminded member not to make double posts. -rex)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dazzerfong



Posts : 588
Join date : 2014-04-04
Age : 21
Location : Sydney, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:33 am

If portability is of the utmost concern, just get a laptop. Even the smallest mATX will be heavier than a laptop, and worse, you need to chug around a monitor and you're tethered to the wall.

$1200 is a solid price for just a new tower: if you do decide to go desktop, you won't be disappointed.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stormlord



Posts : 253
Join date : 2015-06-19
Location : BG - Italy

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:37 pm

@BallistaEd87 For that range, go for a desktop
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallistaEd87



Posts : 70
Join date : 2016-03-10
Age : 29
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:09 am

So far I've been looking and listening to some good advice here and so far I came up with 2 gaming laptops. They are the Dell Inspiron 7559 15.6" (don't need a 17'' screen because I will be hooking it up to a tv) and the Lenovo Ideapad Y700. Both have a NVIDIA GTX 960m at 4GB but the dell has an i5 processor at 2.3 with 8GB RAM and the Lenovo has an i7 processor at 2.6 with 16GB RAM 2133MHz. So this is where I will ask you guys in your area of expertise, which one is better and will yield best results for these games? Now for the people who recommend me buying a desktop, what specs should I be looking for if I were to get a gaming desktop (in the near future that is)? Thank you so much guys for your help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abazor



Posts : 89
Join date : 2014-10-11
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:35 am

The Lenovo laptop has the better specs and will most likely perform better, but the battery life will probably be shorter as well. For a desktop, a GTX 970 or AMD equivalent, an i5, and 16GB RAM will probably be good enough. However for future games, I've been hearing that this generation's AMD GPUs will perform better than Nvidia due to something Nvidia didn't include in their 900 series GPUs. Try and wait for sales for the parts, they happen pretty often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
broccolimonster



Posts : 265
Join date : 2014-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:51 am

Just stumbled on this video Smile


_________________
TO CONQUER FEAR, YOU MUST BECOME FEAR... -THE DARK KNIGHT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadBeast



Posts : 4
Join date : 2016-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Considering your words about TV hooking, i think you should really stick to a good mATX case. It's not good to pay for display you will almost never use. And personally, I find the laptop keyboards too bad for gaming.

Besides, i repaired many laptops in my life. It just a great pain, and any part changing in ATX or mATX will be done much, much quicker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations    Today at 4:40 am

Back to top Go down
 

Introduction And Gaming Laptop Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Looking for a gaming laptop under $1000 (New Vegas)
» Gaming in Saskatoon in general.
» PC Gaming V.S. Console Gaming
» Good day my introduction
» Gaming basics and our responsibility

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gaming Underground Network :: News, Events, Administration :: Welcome-