Gaming Underground Network

Come for the Mods, Stay for the Community!

HomeCalendarFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Info Panel

Profile Image Guidelines
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Player147proman

PostSubject: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:08 pm

Ok, so I got a M240 Bravo model from a BF3 resource files on facepunch.com but I don't know to convert including whats required to convert the weapon? Can anyone tell me what's require and at least a good tutorial on how to convert  scratch?

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:46 am

I can already tell you that you will need a modelling program like blender. I too would like to know how to import models into Fallout New Vegas from other games. I know Dragbody is really good at it and i think he has done live streams for this kind of stuff. Might want to ask Drag if he has tips or tutorials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iEastsidezzz

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:05 am

Just like zehflea mentioned, you will need to download a 3D modeling program like Blender. There's other 3D modeling programs that can do that out there such as Maya, or 3Ds MAX, but Blender is absolutely free and easier to use in my opinion.

I'll give you a brief rundown on how to convert your custom mesh into a Nif file, which is the file type used in Fallout New Vegas for basically everything 3 dimensional.

Here's a couple of things you will need:

- Blender ( You will be needing this to import your custom 3d Model to convert it into a file  compatible with Nifskope)

-Nifskope ( This is the go to program to view meshes from Skyrim, Fallout, and other games such as Civ 5. The file types used in Bethesda games are .nif)

I would recommend downloading Nifskope first, as you will need this program to view FNV/F03 meshes.

I would also recommend opening up a NIF file of a vanilla weapon that is similar to the weapon that you are trying to import. The reason for this is because you will most likely need to export the vanilla mesh into Blender in order to re-size your new mesh as closely as possible to the vanilla mesh.

In this case, I presume that you would want to open up the "lightmachinegun.nif", since you are importing the M240.

Once you have opened the vanilla mesh through Nifskope, click "File", then highlight and click "Export". I would recommend exporting the vanilla mesh as a .DAE file. From personal experience, .DAE files works best when importing them to Blender.
Spoiler:

Download Blender if you haven't already. Once you've done so, open it. Click on "File" on the tool bar, then scroll down to "Import" and choose whatever file type your M240 3D model is saved as.

Once you've imported it, I suggest moving the entire mesh away from the origin because you will need to import the vanilla equivalent of the weapon you are trying to convert.

Now, I won't get into detail into all the trinkets and technicalities of every Blender button, but I highly recommend doing this tutorial just to get the hang of Blender's function. It really helped me in understanding how to efficiently use Blender.

Spoiler:

To import your vanilla mesh, click on"File", scroll to "Import", and select "Collada.DAE". So now, all you have to do is re-size/edit your custom mesh if necessary.
Spoiler:

To Re-size, press B, and drag the selection box over your custom mesh.

Then press S. You can either move your mouse around to change the size of the weapon, or you can enter a number like .90 ( 90% of the original size)

Once you've calibrated the size of the mesh, you can now select the entire mesh and drag it down over the vanilla mesh in order to align it properly.
Spoiler:

Once you've finished with all of your tweaking, you can now delete all the parts of the vanilla mesh, leaving only your custom mesh intact in Blender. Save the blender file.

Once you saved,  click on "File", and scroll down to "Export". Now, NifSkope will only accept 3DS files so you'll have to export your custom mesh as such. ( OBJ files don't really work)

At this point, you should open up 2 Nifskope windows, one for importing your custom mesh and the other for opening the vanilla weapon equivalent.

For the custom mesh, go over to one of the Nifskope window that you opened, click on "File", then scroll down and click on "Import", and select "Import 3DS."
Spoiler:

Select your custom mesh, and TADAH!! You're almost done!

Almost I said, but not yet. So now that you have imported your custom mesh into NIfskope, click on "Spells" on the toolbar, Then click on "Optimize", then "Stripify All Trishapes".
Spoiler:

Stop here for now,if you haven't already, go over to the other Nifskope window you opened, click on "Load" on the toolbar, then find the vanilla nif of the weapon equivalent.

Now, a little bit of information you will need to know. If you go back to your custom mesh, you will notice that there are many branches that are labeled "NiTriStrips". These are essentially all the separate parts that make up the entire model. What you will need to do later is click on a specific "NiTriStrips" branch, click on "NiTriStripsData", then right-click and "Copy". You will need to go to the vanilla mesh to past this data.

So now, head over to your vanilla mesh. Now what I personally do is create as many NiTriStrips of the vanilla as necessary to meet the number of branches needed to pass over all the NiTriStripsData of your custom mesh.

So click on the "BSFadeNode" , look down to the window that is called "Block Details", scroll down till you see "Children", click on the number present in that slot, and change it to whatever number of branches you think is needed to copy over every NiTriStripData of your custom mesh.

Spoiler:

Then click on the green refresh button next to it. Collapse the "Children" branch, and you will notice that you have children sub-branches that have "none" right beside it.
Spoiler:

Right-Click on the NiTriStrips of the vanilla mesh, click on "Copy Branch", then head over to Block Details and select one of those empty children branches, then right-click, then click on "Paste Branch". Repeat this on till you fill in all the empty children branches.

Now head over to the Nifskope window that has your custom mesh, click on "NiTriStrips", right-click on "NiTriStripsData", then select "Copy".
Spoiler:

Now go over to your vanilla mesh, click on a NiTriStrips branch, right-click on NiTriStripsData, and select "Paste Over".
Spoiler:

There it is, now you will notice that you have successfully transferred a part of your M240 ( or RPD in my example) over to the vanilla mesh. Repeat this process on the other vanilla NiTriStrips until you have transferred all of the mesh data.
Spoiler:

NOTE: If you want the animations to look smoothly in game, (Let's say reloading) you will want to find the Magazine of your custom mesh, copy the NiTriStripsData, look for a "NiNode" branch in the vanilla mesh that is labeled as clip or magazine, (In this case, ##riotClip), click on it, look for the NiTriStripsData, then paste over with the clip mesh data from your custom mesh.

Save your newly custom mesh as a nif file of whatever name you desire.

You will also need to paste your nif and the textures of your 3D model in your Data folder.

I hope this brief tutorial helped you in some way. I also highly recommend watching Millenia's Weapon Creation Tutorial, which will also show you how to import your new model in GECK and explain how to assign your custom textures to your custom mesh. If you didn't think my brief rundown was suffice, then go ahead and watch the video.
Spoiler:

Happy modding!  Very Happy

Last edited by iEastsidezzz on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zehflea

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:44 am

Thank you so much Eastside! This really is helpful! You have no idea how much I have been wanting to do this and not knowing how. A million times thank you! Now I just need to align the model to the vanilla gun properly and apply the textures correctly. Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Player147proman

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Holy Sh*t, It work! Thank you man! Now I feel like I can convert some weapons on my own without wondering who's going to it! +1 Rep you you my friend, you earned it!  Very Happy 

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:08 pm

No problem at all. I'm really glad it helped you guys out!  cheers 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dio Brando

Character sheet
Name: Aya A7-01
Faction: Institute, Aggresive Reaction Unit
Level: Unknown

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:18 pm

This will be very useful, East! Thank you very much. Gonna try porting sword sheath today.

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:29 pm

On a side note, you can also use the NifTools plugin to load .nif files directly into Blender, but you will have to use an older version of Blender.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zehflea

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:45 pm

One real quick question - I'm having problems getting the textures of a model to show up right in GECK and ingame. I followed the above instructions on how to port the model and I even got it in game, but the texture is really metallic looking and changes colors when moved. I have the textures for the gun I ported and they DO show up in nifskope like they should, but in the GECK window and ingame they show up metallic and change colors. Is there a certain point in the youtube video where it addresses this? sorry for being lazy guys I know this has gotta be an annoying question but that video is really long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iEastsidezzz

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 am

@zehflea wrote:
One real quick question - I'm having problems getting the textures of a model to show up right in GECK and ingame.  I followed the above instructions on how to port the model and I even got it in game, but the texture is really metallic looking and changes colors when moved.  I have the textures for the gun I ported and they DO show up in nifskope like they should, but in the GECK window and ingame they show up metallic and change colors.  Is there a certain point in the youtube video where it addresses this?  sorry for being lazy guys I know this has gotta be an annoying question but that video is really long.

When you say metallic, do you mean glossy? What you have to do is go to the NiMaterialProperty in your NiTriStrips data, look in the Block Details, and lower the Gloss levels.

Spoiler:

If that doesn't work then I suggest deleting the texture "Normal/Gloss" texture. I have also experienced that excessive glossiness when adding Normals to my weapon, and sometimes even lowering the Gloss value doesn't make a difference. I'm positive someone else has a solution to this specific issue, but I've just had bad luck with Normals as well.

I have also labeled each texture slot for you convenience.

Spoiler:

Also make sure you transfer all of the textures for your weapon to your Data folder before you assign them to your weapon in Nifskope.

You can also fast-forward to 21:47 15:08 in the tutorial I posted earlier to see how to properly assign textures to your weapon.

I hope this helps!!  Very Happy 

INB4 someone asks about the Sighting Node of a weapon: Make you sure to edit the Sighting Node by right-clicking on the Node branch, highlighting on "Transform", and clicking on "Edit". This way, you are given the X, Y, and Z coordinates to re-position your Sighting Node to however you see fit to properly align your iron sights.

The Sighting Node determines the trajectory of your bullet and your base viewing position (before SightFOV values in GECK), so it's pretty important.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zehflea

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:27 am

Thanks Eastside, this is gonna help!  I'm still figuring it all out, but I will get there in time!

EDIT: I figured out the problems with the textures. Thank you again for helping with porting models and posting the link to the youtube video. I took screenshots of the model I ported but I'm not sure how to post them on forums as this is the only website that I have really been a part of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trooperjess

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks for the information iEastsidezzz. If I ever get time modle weapons I will use this page as a guide.

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:48 pm

@zehflea wrote:
Thanks Eastside, this is gonna help!  I'm still figuring it all out, but I will get there in time!

EDIT:  I figured out the problems with the textures.  Thank you again for helping with porting models and posting the link to the youtube video.  I took screenshots of the model I ported but I'm not sure how to post them on forums as this is the only website that I have really been a part of.

You can post images to this forum by looking at the message toolbar and looking for a thumbnail of a floppy-disk in front of a picture. It's in the same row of icons as the YouTube icon.

When you click on it, upload your file from your hard drive, then copy the "Image" url and post it in your message.

@trooperjess wrote:
Thanks for the information iEastsidezzz. If I ever get time modle weapons I will use this page as a guide.

No problem! I'm just glad to be of help to you guys.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zehflea

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:51 am

Oh wow I never saw those buttons! My fault for being a noob at forums. Thanks again Eastside, you really knocked it out of the park with your tutorial!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
war5444

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Yeah I just ported a nice looking M4, Zehflea, let's see how yours came out!

Now the trumpet summons us again—not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need; not as a call to battle, though embattled we are—but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out, "rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation"—a struggle against the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself.
John F. Kennedy, Inaugural Adress, January 20, 1961

SWO Swag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zehflea

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:15 pm

Well here is my WIP port from Call of Duty Ghosts

Pic:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tesvixen

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:38 pm

Looking good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nunyabusiness.com
zehflea

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks! Though It has a lot of work to be done like reloading and getting it to fit right in the player's hands. Thinking I might just go with a different model due to this one having the clip in the back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hopper31

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:24 pm

You could use some of the W.A.R animations for that. I forget which reload type it is but W.A.R does have some bullpup animations in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zehflea

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look into that. Though I am no expert when It comes to animations so I will have to dig around a bit and see how to assign animations and such.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?   Today at 6:08 am

Back to top Go down

How do I convert weapons from other games for fallout?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next