Gaming Underground Network

Come for the Mods, Stay for the Community!
 
HomeCalendarFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Info Panel
________________

Profile Image Guidelines
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 Do people forget about Energy Weapons?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SuperDuperMutant



Posts : 67
Join date : 2015-02-22
Age : 23
Location : Mariposa

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:18 pm

I believe that a reason why energy weapon mods are less common than traditional firearms is because there's such a wealth of real world guns that can be directly put in the game. It requires far more imagination and effort to create something that does not exist in the real world.

There is also the matter that Fallout's energy weapons look like 50s technology, and they should since this is Fallout. The aesthetic tends to attract less people than guns do, however.

_________________
All I want for Christmas is a Super Sledge
Back to top Go down
View user profile
falloutgods69



Posts : 76
Join date : 2014-10-25
Age : 26
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Energy weapons are neglected by most modders, yes, but I think players don't. EVE certainly helps players overall want for energy based weapons. The Holorifle from Dead Money is my favorite gun in Fallout and most of the time my main tag skill is energy weapons. I think they're under powered in New Vegas compared to Fallout 3. You could pretty much one shot anything in Fallout 3 with a Tesla Cannon while in New Vegas you can barely take out a Legion Centurion. That's why I think energy weapons are ignored more often than not with modders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tehuitzaldebamf



Posts : 281
Join date : 2014-03-18
Location : Planet Zargon

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:33 pm

I always loved energy weapons because I felt that fallout could be way more futuristic than a modern nuclear apocalypse. However, most of the projectiles are inaccurate or slower than regular firearms. I'm pretty sure they were nerfed in Fallout NV too, thus making them much weaker. If there were more decent energy weapon mods out there, I would love to use them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMOneEighty



Posts : 139
Join date : 2014-11-26
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:36 am

I was always more keen on using good old lead, but I always appreciated Energy weapons for it's variety and interesting concept. I did always like how they looked, and in my recent playthrough I decided to use them more (with EVE) and man I am loving it! Definitely something fun to use!I wish I took it up sooner!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
qanakin



Posts : 217
Join date : 2015-07-04
Age : 18
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:18 am

I agree with @lgarrott. EVE really makes energy weapon look and sound better and I've been using them a lot ever since.

_________________
"If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldboy



Posts : 213
Join date : 2014-11-11
Age : 27
Location : Los Angeles

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:32 am

i never liked energy weapons, and i've never used them as well...main reason is they look tacky. if they had some cool looking energy weapons that looked like blaster rifles from star wars, i would use it in a heartbeat. but for now, i avoid it like the plague Smile

and judging by the fallout 4 trailer/gameplays, nothing has changed regarding energy/laser weapons. shame.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMOneEighty



Posts : 139
Join date : 2014-11-26
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:38 am

Well that's not entirely true, after all they said there was over 700 mods for the 50 base weapons so I'm sure you can make the perfect tackyless energy rifle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Delineator



Posts : 207
Join date : 2014-10-22
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:28 am

I feel it's because we don't actually have energy weapons in real life, and people are more comfortable using conventional firearms that tend to go "boom" and "crack" rather than "pew pew pew". I know that's one reason why I stay away from them (that and goo/ash piles that I hate having to delete).

There is this mod on the Nexus that changes to laser projectile more of a "bolt", as in the kind we're used to seeing in sci-fi movies and whatnot.

Code:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/59379/?

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeLiWrAp



Posts : 194
Join date : 2014-09-04
Age : 20
Location : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:25 pm

^^ Me and my friend are planning to create an x-com weapons mod which will hopefully include both the plasma and the laser weapons from the game Smile , Currently i'm just playing around waiting for my friend to get used to the tools.

_________________
My Achievements:
 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tray



Posts : 52
Join date : 2015-06-01
Age : 19
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:52 pm

I personally enjoy energy weapons more than the typical modern "tacticool" weapons that I feel have no right to be in Fallout, but I struggle to find more weapons that go pew rather than pop...

_________________
Metallic Monk Fanatic Extraordinaire
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VATROU



Posts : 146
Join date : 2015-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:00 pm

@DeLiWrAp wrote:
^^ Me and my friend are planning to create an x-com weapons mod which will hopefully include both the plasma and the laser weapons from the game Smile , Currently i'm just playing around waiting for my friend to get used to the tools.

I would love some of the X-Com energy weapons, will you be doing the Long War stuff as well.

_________________


Check out my Fallout Alaska Fan Lore Master Thread 2, pop in, leave a suggestion, or simply comment. Why is it called a Master Thread? Well because it's where all my updates will go first.

Like Fallout Fan Fiction!? Check out Explorers of the New World Updated regularly. It's about Alaska and the Wackiness that ensues therein.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMOneEighty



Posts : 139
Join date : 2014-11-26
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:04 pm

I definitely agree, even as someone who uses guns more than energy weapons there's way to many tacticool weapons. Besides some energy weapons just kick ass, it made me question my preferred weapon choice at times
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TehSputnik



Posts : 7
Join date : 2015-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Energy weapons along with most big guns are completely absent from the start of the game (except for that shitty laser pistol in the doc's house) while you can get a conventional rifle or melee weapon early on. There isn't much point in upping energy weapons early on so most people just forget about them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tray



Posts : 52
Join date : 2015-06-01
Age : 19
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 pm

@AMOneEighty wrote:
I definitely agree, even as someone who uses guns more than energy weapons there's way to many tacticool weapons. Besides some energy weapons just kick ass, it made me question my preferred weapon choice at times

Yep. I can remember how much I struggled to find a Plasma Caster before GRA and Lonesome Road were a thing in vanilla, I actually loaded earlier saves so I could steal...I mean borrow one from the Van Graffs since I sold it...I needed that behemoth weapon, man ;_;

_________________
Metallic Monk Fanatic Extraordinaire
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeLiWrAp



Posts : 194
Join date : 2014-09-04
Age : 20
Location : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:19 pm

@VATROU wrote:
I would love some of the X-Com energy weapons, will you be doing the Long War stuff as well.

We may if we get the time, the "project" is simply a bit of fun tbh, and we're both going to uni this year so it'll only be as big as time and skill allow. That said, I'd like to at least include all the weapons from xcom: ew

_________________
My Achievements:
 

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMOneEighty



Posts : 139
Join date : 2014-11-26
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:25 pm

@Tray wrote:
@AMOneEighty wrote:
I definitely agree, even as someone who uses guns more than energy weapons there's way to many tacticool weapons. Besides some energy weapons just kick ass, it made me question my preferred weapon choice at times

Yep. I can remember how much I struggled to find a Plasma Caster before GRA and Lonesome Road were a thing in vanilla, I actually loaded earlier saves so I could steal...I mean borrow one from the Van Graffs since I sold it...I needed that behemoth weapon, man ;_;

Agreed man! I spent ages trying to find a plasma defender, took forever! But I understand since plasma was supposed to be mid game stuff .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LukaTheJawa



Posts : 1843
Join date : 2015-06-17
Age : 15
Location : Scavenging for parts

Character sheet
Name: Jawa Thief
Faction: Anti stormtrooper fedaration
Level: 15

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:42 pm

It could just be me but i always have a place in my heart for energy weapons , there futuristic look,modern appeal and destructive power.

Yes some fire arms look better than all the energy weapons i dont care even without eve i still preferd energy weapons in my arsenal over guns.

And i think a energy weapon looks at its best when you can see things like wires (pew pew) it gives it that much more asthetic , and for a star wars like look i download a star wars mod.

@AMOneEighty wrote:
@Tray wrote:
@AMOneEighty wrote:
I definitely agree, even as someone who uses guns more than energy weapons there's way to many tacticool weapons. Besides some energy weapons just kick ass, it made me question my preferred weapon choice at times

Yep. I can remember how much I struggled to find a Plasma Caster before GRA and Lonesome Road were a thing in vanilla, I actually loaded earlier saves so I could steal...I mean borrow one from the Van Graffs since I sold it...I needed that behemoth weapon, man ;_;

Agreed man! I spent ages trying to find a plasma defender, took forever! But I understand since plasma was supposed to be mid game stuff .

Disagree you could get a plasma pistol before leaving Goodsprings.

cheers  cheers.

Staff edit: Please don't double post. Use the edit button to add to your original message. Thanks! N~dles

_________________


My Achievements:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BillyJohn



Posts : 187
Join date : 2015-07-06
Age : 19
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:30 pm

I've noticed that as well. I never tend to use Energy Weapons in any of my playthroughs. There is just too many good looking weapon mods for normal guns that I completely ignore them. Funny thing is when I played Fallout 3 on the PS3 I always used the Plasma Rifle so its not like I don't like the guns. I saw a Laser Assault Rifle recently though in the Ammo Counter Gun pack which looked really good. Might use it in my current playthrough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AMOneEighty



Posts : 139
Join date : 2014-11-26
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:11 pm

lukaboot wrote:
It could just be me but i always have a place in my heart for energy weapons , there futuristic look,modern appeal and destructive power.

Yes some fire arms look better than all the energy weapons i dont care even without eve i still preferd energy weapons in my arsenal over guns.

And i think a energy weapon looks at its best when you can see things like wires (pew pew) it gives it that much more asthetic , and for a star wars like look i download a star wars mod.

@AMOneEighty wrote:
@Tray wrote:
@AMOneEighty wrote:
I definitely agree, even as someone who uses guns more than energy weapons there's way to many tacticool weapons. Besides some energy weapons just kick ass, it made me question my preferred weapon choice at times

Yep. I can remember how much I struggled to find a Plasma Caster before GRA and Lonesome Road were a thing in vanilla, I actually loaded earlier saves so I could steal...I mean borrow one from the Van Graffs since I sold it...I needed that behemoth weapon, man ;_;

Agreed man! I spent ages trying to find a plasma defender, took forever! But I understand since plasma was supposed to be mid game stuff .

Disagree you could get a plasma pistol before leaving Goodsprings.

cheers  cheers.

Staff edit: Please don't double post. Use the edit button to add to your original message. Thanks! N~dles

Aha that I know! But I'm talking about the Plasma Defender, the more cleaner looking Plasma pistol! Still thanks anyway!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redbulls



Posts : 50
Join date : 2015-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:02 pm

Using Rebalance from Project Nevada, JE Sawyer's mod, and GBMM had me using energy weapons a lot in the early game just because finding weapons at all was a pain due to loot % being reduced. Normally, I never use EWs but since finding ammo was scarce so found myself leaning on plasma and laser pistols I normally never use. With EVE installed, I found it reduced a lot of problems I had with the vanilla editions of being too boring as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Do people forget about Energy Weapons?   Today at 12:33 pm

Back to top Go down
 

Do people forget about Energy Weapons?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 Similar topics

-
» Do people forget about Energy Weapons?
» Normal Weapons or Energy Weapons?
» What weapons do you barely use in Fallout?
» Vanilla Guns for Fallout 4
» Energy Weapons

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gaming Underground Network :: Fallout :: Discussion-