Gaming Underground Network

Come for the Mods, Stay for the Community!
 
HomeCalendarFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Info Panel
________________
FO MOD MASTER THREAD
TES MOD MASTER THREAD

________________


________________
_
August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 Fallout game by Obsidian

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mikeee1111

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2017-01-17
Age : 31
Location : From Vancouver/at Montreal right now (temporary)

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Fallout game by Obsidian   Sun 12 Feb 2017 - 9:47

Hello, I was wondering, how big are the chances we get a Fallout by Obsidian?


Bethesda has the rights over Fallout, they don't want Obsidian to touch it, but we did get Fallout New Vegas two years after Falout 3 was out, what are the chances we get a new Fallout game by Obsidian?
Fallout 4 was released by the end of 2015, should we except a new Fallout game by the end of 2017 or perhaps even 2018?


What's your opinion(s) about this?


Of course, it would be awesome but is there any chances that we do get a new Fallout by Obisdian?

_________________
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

- Gandalf the Bla- I mean the white.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ICEBIRD112

avatar

Posts : 135
Join date : 2017-02-11
Age : 17
Location : San Antonio

Character sheet
Name: Cpl. Danton
Faction: H.E.C.U. Marines
Level: 25

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Sun 12 Feb 2017 - 12:54

I doubt there will be any finished product at the end of 2017. I think that Obsidian may have something in the works, but they don't showcase any plans for a while.

I think after the "some-what" catastrophe that was Fallout: 4, Bethesda would go to Obsidian to get a new game in the works. This is all of course a while away.

More Fallout games are greatly welcomed, but I hope that they don't have bad stories, characters, choices, etc. because of a small time limit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
momuse88

avatar

Posts : 153
Join date : 2014-11-06
Age : 28
Location : Tucson, AZ

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Sun 12 Feb 2017 - 13:00

I'm going to break with the circle jerk and say that I don't think Fallout 4 was a catastrophe for anyone else except the hardcore fans. It was their best selling game to-date and reviewed well, even on Metacritic and Steam it holds a review level similar to Fallout New Vegas (not that I think voluntary reviews are good metrics to rely on, mind you). I understand the fans wanted Fallout New Vegas 2, but Bethesda doesn't make hardcore RPGs like that anymore and people just need to accept that. I don't necessarily think ObsidiGod is the answer to all the problems either because their games always end up a half-finished, buggy mess also many of the people that worked on Fallout New Vegas don't even work for Obsidian anymore so it's unlikely you would get the same product.

To answer the original question, nobody knows. It would just be speculation.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeee1111

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2017-01-17
Age : 31
Location : From Vancouver/at Montreal right now (temporary)

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Sun 12 Feb 2017 - 17:38

@ICEBIRD112 wrote:
I doubt there will be any finished product at the end of 2017. I think that Obsidian may have something in the works, but they don't showcase any plans for a while.

I think after the "some-what" catastrophe that was Fallout: 4, Bethesda would go to Obsidian to get a new game in the works. This is all of course a while away.

More Fallout games are greatly welcomed, but I hope that they don't have bad stories, characters, choices, etc. because of a small time limit.

That would be great but i honestly doubt it, Bethesda doesn't want Obsidian to touch Fallout but we can always hope!

_________________
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

- Gandalf the Bla- I mean the white.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeee1111

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2017-01-17
Age : 31
Location : From Vancouver/at Montreal right now (temporary)

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Sun 12 Feb 2017 - 17:43

@momuse88 wrote:
I'm going to break with the circle jerk and say that I don't think Fallout 4 was a catastrophe for anyone else except the hardcore fans. It was their best selling game to-date and reviewed well, even on Metacritic and Steam it holds a review level similar to Fallout New Vegas (not that I think voluntary reviews are good metrics to rely on, mind you). I understand the fans wanted Fallout New Vegas 2, but Bethesda doesn't make hardcore RPGs like that anymore and people just need to accept that. I don't necessarily think ObsidiGod is the answer to all the problems either because their games always end up a half-finished, buggy mess also many of the people that worked on Fallout New Vegas don't even work for Obsidian anymore so it's unlikely you would get the same product.

To answer the original question, nobody knows. It would just be speculation.

That is what this topic is about, speculations, opinions, what does people think about all of that.

And it was their best selling game to-date because they made it a mainstream game, mainstream game = more buyers, more buyers = more money.

Obsidian games are all good (except perhaps for Dungeon Siege 3 which was a let down for the fans but still was a good game).
So i do not see where you came up with that (always end up a half-finished, buggy mess).
Fallout New Vegas was not "hardcore", it was an RPG, I excepted Bethesda to make Fallout 4 easier for everyone, but i did not except them to remove the rpg content.
It's a rushed game, and that is a fact.
People can still like it, to each his own but the game misses on so many things, and that's a big problem for the Fallout fans.

_________________
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

- Gandalf the Bla- I mean the white.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
momuse88

avatar

Posts : 153
Join date : 2014-11-06
Age : 28
Location : Tucson, AZ

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Sun 12 Feb 2017 - 22:46

@mikeee1111 wrote:
Obsidian games are all good (except perhaps for Dungeon Siege 3 which was a let down for the fans but still was a good game). So i do not see where you came up with that (always end up a half-finished, buggy mess).

Something can still be good while still being buggy and half-finished. Really though, Obsidian has had a very long history with buggy games that are half finished and the only place where no one ever talks about that is in the Fallout circles where Obsidian is held up to unrealistic God-like standards that betray their history. KOTOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol... there was also Planescape Torment back when they were still Black Isle Studios. All extremely janky, all half-finished. Don't get me wrong, I love FNV, but it was also the buggiest game in the entire franchise and was horribly broken on release.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mikeee1111

avatar

Posts : 203
Join date : 2017-01-17
Age : 31
Location : From Vancouver/at Montreal right now (temporary)

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 6:57

@momuse88 wrote:
@mikeee1111 wrote:
Obsidian games are all good (except perhaps for Dungeon Siege 3 which was a let down for the fans but still was a good game). So i do not see where you came up with that (always end up a half-finished, buggy mess).

Something can still be good while still being buggy and half-finished. Really though, Obsidian has had a very long history with buggy games that are half finished and the only place where no one ever talks about that is in the Fallout circles where Obsidian is held up to unrealistic God-like standards that betray their history. KOTOR 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol... there was also Planescape Torment back when they were still Black Isle Studios. All extremely janky, all half-finished. Don't get me wrong, I love FNV, but it was also the buggiest game in the entire franchise and was horribly broken on release.

I loved all those games, Alpha Protocol was not as great as their other games but it was great anyways.
They may be buggy on release, but they end up being fixed with the patches and all, and just to let you know, Fallout 4 was way more buggy and is still a lot buggy and glitchy even now, compared to Fallout New Vegas at its release or today.

Obsidian do make buggy games, but they generally fix them, what can you say about almost every other developer ever? They don't. Bethesda did not.

_________________
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

- Gandalf the Bla- I mean the white.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Visible Earth

avatar

Posts : 178
Join date : 2016-10-24

Character sheet
Name: Jason
Faction: Freeside
Level: 12

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 7:34

In their defence could it be argued that Alpha Protocol, KOTOR 2, Fallout New Vegas, South Park: Stick of Truth and Dungeon Siege 3 were all made for publishers with set deadlines for their releases? The eighteen months given to Obsidian to make Fallout New Vegas is notoriously unfair, for example. I haven't heard any complaints about Pillars of Eternity, which while it wasn't published by them, was always specifically their baby where they were given actual time to work on it.

_________________
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we've got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50 year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
momuse88

avatar

Posts : 153
Join date : 2014-11-06
Age : 28
Location : Tucson, AZ

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 10:06

@mikeee1111 wrote:
and just to let you know, Fallout 4 was way more buggy and is still a lot buggy and glitchy even now, compared to Fallout New Vegas at its release or today

Demonstrably false. Many FNV players experienced a terrible savefile corruption bug at launch that killed their progress (has never been an issue with FO4) and PC players experienced a RAM bug that limited the game to console RAM usage (also never been a problem with FO4). Not saying that FO4 was perfect by any means but it was indeed one of their most stable launches ever.

It's not a contest about which game is better and I'm not trying to blindly defend Bethesda or FO4 (there's plenty to criticize) - if people didn't like it then you didn't like it and that's perfectly fine. But this manufactured elitism surrounding FNV and Obsidian gets really old, to the point where people (this wasn't you) make stupid comments like, "FO4 was a catastrophe cuz they took muh RP from muh G!!" No, it wasn't catastrophe and it improved on the Fallout formula in a ton of ways. But we don't ever get to talk about that because ObsidiGod does everything perfectly and Bethshit sucks, and that's the end of the conversation.

@Visible Earth wrote:
The eighteen months given to Obsidian to make Fallout New Vegas is notoriously unfair

Sorry friend, but this logic does not compute. No one held a gun to Obsidian's head to make them sign a contract in which the money to paid and the time frame was specified well beforehand. They knew what they were getting themselves into and failed to deliver. Plain and simple.

The retort many gamers would fire back with is, "Publisher/developers should stop doing this and just release products when they're finished", but this is also stupid logic made by people who don't know what they're talking about. Literally, nowhere in the world do you have indefinite development times. Sometimes an extended date or two may be specified in the contract, but that's about it.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Visible Earth

avatar

Posts : 178
Join date : 2016-10-24

Character sheet
Name: Jason
Faction: Freeside
Level: 12

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 13:44

@momuse88 wrote:


@Visible Earth wrote:
The eighteen months given to Obsidian to make Fallout New Vegas is notoriously unfair

Sorry friend, but this logic does not compute. No one held a gun to Obsidian's head to make them sign a contract in which the money to paid and the time frame was specified well beforehand. They knew what they were getting themselves into and failed to deliver. Plain and simple.

The retort many gamers would fire back with is, "Publisher/developers should stop doing this and just release products when they're finished", but this is also stupid logic made by people who don't know what they're talking about. Literally, nowhere in the world do you have indefinite development times. Sometimes an extended date or two may be specified in the contract, but that's about it.

It was essentially emotional blackmail though. Fallout was Black Isle's baby (and by extension, Obsidian's) Obsidian have said on numerous occasions that they'd love to make more Fallout games if Bethesda would let them, so naturally they jumped at their one chance. Bethesda knew they could exploit them as developers, hence the ridiculous Metacritic contract. Would you rather Obsidian just said, "no this contract is horsehit" and not made the game? Plenty of people make content for New Vegas for free because they love it. It's no different for the people with the original team behind Fallout and Fallout 2 (and yes, I am aware that Fallout was made by Interplay, but it was still directed by Feargus Urquhart, the founder of Obsidian).

And considering that Obsidian created a better game than Bethesda with Bethesda's own engine with less time than either Fallout 3 or 4 they can be forgiven for the buggy mess Bethesda left them in (considering that Bethesda had just as much of a duty towards quality assurance testing as Obsidian did). I'm not really sure what you're arguing here other than, nyuh uh, Obsidian makes buggy games. We all know that. I'm pointing out that eighteen months is very little time to make a detailed game. Bethesda rushed New Vegas out because they wanted to cash in on the waning Fallout 3 hype. I couldn't care less about the game being released "finished". Very few games ever are. But "playable" would've been nice. Same goes for Skyrim on consoles (which I'm pretty sure Bethesda still never fixed).

EDIT: Also, just read your first comment on this thread. Two people had commented. Hardly a "circlejerk".

_________________
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we've got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50 year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
momuse88

avatar

Posts : 153
Join date : 2014-11-06
Age : 28
Location : Tucson, AZ

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 14:10

Blackmail? Come on, that's a pretty weak excuse and I find it baffling that through all of the issues you still manage to find a way to blame Bethesda for it. If someone is the head of a company that employs hundreds of people who have families and you sign yourself into a bad deal because of emotional blackmail then he's probably an idiot and he should be replaced.

@Visible Earth wrote:
Bethesda knew they could exploit them as developers, hence the ridiculous Metacritic contract

How the fuck is that ridiculous? Make a good game in the engine that we already built for you and you get a bonus. I mean it sucks that they didn't get it, but that's how business works. Obsidian employees who are much more knowledgeable about it than you and I looked at the contract and said, "We'll do it!". No one is accountable for their fuck-ups except them.

@Visible Earth wrote:
And considering that Obsidian created a better game than Bethesda with Bethesda's own engine with less time than either Fallout 3 or 4 they can be forgiven for the buggy mess Bethesda left them in

First, what constitutes a "better game" is in the eyes of the beholder. Some people like FO3 more, some people like FNV more. Stop treating this as if there is some universal metric by which to unquestionably gauge the quality of the product. Second, you're using a false equivalence here. A shit ton of money and time goes into developing game engines. Yes, a lot of code was borrowed from Oblivion but writing it to make an fps game had never been done by them before. FNV was a very well written and designed game, but they also had the benefit of having a wide library of assets as well as a working build on PS3, XBox360, and PC (which they still managed to fuck up somehow) served up to them on a silver platter. A lot of the hard work had been done already, and they just needed to fill it with their own content.

@Visible Earth wrote:
I'm not really sure what you're arguing here other than, nyuh uh, Obsidian makes buggy games.

Hearing people blame Bethesda for Obsidian's internal issues gives me cancer. I'm not trying to argue with anyone if Bethesda or Obsidian is better because I'm just happy to have more Fallout regardless of who it is from. But again, there is the fake manufactured elitism around FNV that gets really old sometime.

Aaaaaanyways, I think your talking points are complete nonsense but I don't want this to turn into an argument so I will stop posting in this thread. You may have the last word if you wish. I upvoted one of your comments earlier for not becoming hostile in what is obviously a very divisive topic.

EDIT: Responding to your edit. The circlejek isn't just on the GUN. r/fnv, r/fallout, r/falloutlore are all the same and I see the same circlejerk all the time. "wide as an ocean but deep as a puddle, amiright?." Jesus, if I had a dollar for everytime...

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Visible Earth

avatar

Posts : 178
Join date : 2016-10-24

Character sheet
Name: Jason
Faction: Freeside
Level: 12

PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   Mon 13 Feb 2017 - 15:32

Look, i get it. You're upset that other people have different opinions to you. You're angry that people are complaining about the questionable practises of a company who's products you like. And you want to rant about it. Fine. But I have zero interest in reading your diatribe. There is no argument here. I have agreed with you that obsidian makes buggy games, and pointed out their limited development time. You've decided to rant about that for some reason. If you lack the empathy to understand why creators of something would want to regain control over the thing they created, then that's not really my problem. Sorry that you can't join in the circlejerk. Maybe sugarbombed and the Bethesda forums are more appropriate for you.

_________________
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we've got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50 year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Fallout game by Obsidian   

Back to top Go down
 

Fallout game by Obsidian

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Poll: Best Fallout game main quest.
» Let Obsidian make new Fallout on the current engine
» Terminator mod in Fallout 4
» Mod Mangers
» Features That You Wish to Change in Next Fallout Game

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gaming Underground Network :: Fallout :: Discussion-