Info Panel

Calendar Calendar

Body Meshes for Companion doesn't appear in G.E.C.K. nor in-game.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Body Meshes for Companion doesn't appear in G.E.C.K. nor in-game.

Post by iEastsidezzz on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:39 am

Now that I'm done with porting weapons for a while, I thought it would be a great idea to bring Lucario over from Super Smash Brother Brawl and have him become a Companion in the world of Fallout: New Vegas.

Initially, I thought it would be a good idea to start with using a creature mesh as a template, but I just went ahead and used the "UpperBody" mesh of a Human NPC.

Let me just say that I have no prior experience with modding/rigging armors or anything related to bodies. But I went ahead and copied the NiTriShapeData of my custom mesh and paste it over the vanilla mesh; much like you do with creating a weapon out of a custom mesh. I also took the liberty of creating other "NiTriShape" branches out of the vanilla branch. At first, I thought this was a good place to start..

So I'll post some pics here so you can see my node branches and what not...

Lucario's Body:

Lucario's Head:

As far as the eyes go, I'm not so concerned with having movable eyes at this point, so I just went ahead and added it to the head mesh.

And I'm not worried about any mouth/teeth/tongue movements, because to my knowledge, I believe Lucario speaks telepathically.

Once I was done with that, I created a folder in Textures and Meshes...added the textures and Nifs...just like you always do. Then I went into G.E.C.K and created a new Race and linked all the Nif files I made. When I added them, this happened:

Spoiler:

So the meshes didn't appear in G.E.C.K.'s rending screen, nor does anything appear in-game.  I'm pretty sure I missed something huge that was procedural.

So when it comes to what I'm trying to do, what did I do wrong? ( I'm sure a good bit of things).

Anybody have any experience with creating a companion that has custom meshes? Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this issue?

Any help will be much appreciated.
iEastsidezzz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Body Meshes for Companion doesn't appear in G.E.C.K. nor in-game.

Post by Tesvixen on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:46 am

You have to export creatures/races/bodies with specific settings or they are invisible in game/GECK, just like that.  Mind you it could be one of a couple dozen OTHER things, but I'd check your export settings for sure.

Re-export your mesh from Blender using these settings, and see what that does:

http://imgbox.com/ZlSGgdqN

Also, you need to line the arms up with the skeleton properly. Shouldn't be T-posed like that, the arms need to come down around 18 degrees at the shoulders. Otherwise the model will not animate correctly, hold weapons properly, etc.
Tesvixen

View user profile http://www.nunyabusiness.com

Back to top Go down

Post by iEastsidezzz on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Hmmm...

I followed your instructions and used Blender 2.4.9's Niftools, made sure I had the exact setting as seen in the screenshot, and the meshes remain invisible in G.E.C.K. This is quite puzzling.

And I couldn't find any good tutorial on the topic either..

iEastsidezzz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tesvixen on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:23 pm

Zip em up, upload and PM me a link.  I'm headed out for a movie date, but I'll take a look when I get home.
Tesvixen

View user profile http://www.nunyabusiness.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top