Gaming Underground Network

Come for the Mods, Stay for the Community!
 
HomeCalendarFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Info Panel
________________

Profile Image Guidelines
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 The day the Mods stopped flowing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CalneCa



Posts : 8
Join date : 2015-06-22
Age : 23
Location : Florida

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:23 am

I'm hoping that it will eventually pick back up, but I'm not expecting much, Fallout has always been a little less popular to the Elder Scrolls series, let alone the problems with animations and the ck. Guess only time will tell though, hopefully it won't take too much longer with lots of mod authors backing down from their projects from all the issues with theft, or just flat out giving up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cake



Posts : 515
Join date : 2015-06-21
Age : 19
Location : dreamland

Character sheet
Name: Cellabes
Faction: Sealab 2012
Level: 3

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:42 am

@CalneCa I'm with you on this one, its kinda like Bethesda knew Fallout 4 might've flopped. I mean, a Skyrim remake; like I love Skyrim but since when Bethesda remasters anything.

But I'll give it some more months or so, I mean Oblivion looks awesome af in 2016 with the right mods.

_________________


FNV mods are on hiatus until GECK works with new win10 update
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beardofsocrates



Posts : 446
Join date : 2014-08-17
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:49 am

I haven't experienced any crashing yet, which to me is a huge improvement coming from the Geck... but trying to make custom races is a pain in the butt. Regular error reporting coupled not being able to view the right textures till you're actually in-game. :S

_________________
“We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done.” - Alan Turning
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patriotickevin



Posts : 204
Join date : 2015-06-13
Age : 20
Location : New York, NY

Character sheet
Name: Kevin
Faction: Minutemen
Level: 70

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:47 pm

You found a reason to do 15 playthroughs? I can't compel myself to do a second play through, and this is with 550+ hours in mind you.

_________________
'MTV on the RCA, no AC in the vents'

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dewderson



Posts : 85
Join date : 2016-07-26

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:08 am

@patriotickevin wrote:
You found a reason to do 15 playthroughs? I can't compel myself to do a second play through, and this is with 550+ hours in mind you.

That's because of all the grinding that comes with a Bethesda title. Not really a fan of redoing 200+ Minutemen radiant quests.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ichigo350z



Posts : 43
Join date : 2016-08-10
Location : US

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:07 am

@patriotickevin wrote:
You found a reason to do 15 playthroughs? I can't compel myself to do a second play through, and this is with 550+ hours in mind you.

Yeah, the first three playthroughs were on my PS4 and I shook my head, dusted off my PC, Overclocked my proc and ponied up the dough for a new Geforce 970. I haven't turned on my PS4 since.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreceratops



Posts : 83
Join date : 2016-09-05

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:36 am

It's like Fallout 4 was hit by a perfect storm. First, we get hit by paid modding ~1 year ago and that widened any cracks that already existed in the modding scene. Then the amazing way Bethesda handled Xbone modding and all that mod stealing ruckus. And while I wasn't around for it, there was the farce that was the Nvidia modding contest. To top it all off, FO4 is a lot more divisive than previous titles and even if a modder wasn't deterred by all the mod-drama, they might just not like the base game enough. Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Who knows, I'm not a modder.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mindboggles



Posts : 11
Join date : 2016-06-23
Age : 45
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:01 am

@Dewderson wrote:
There's a number of factors I'd be willing to bet on.

The voiced protag makes it unnecessarily difficult for people who like making quest mods or companion mods being that the VO workload is doubled if not tripled as they have to recycle PC voice lines for the player to choose from.

The Bethesda.net controversy with mod theft and mod piracy forcing some of the most talented modders to quit or postpone their work such as DogToothCG (Maker of NCR Ranger Armor) and LordOfWar, who's armor is still being reuploaded with people calling him selfish or other dumb things. "WAOW U NAWT LIEK PPL STEELIN UR WURK UR FUKN SELFISH LOW." Generally bringing the console community into the fold made the modding community way more toxic and encouraged modders to quit due to harassment as well, I'm sure there's still some modder rant videos on youtube.

There's also the fact that people still see New Vegas as a much stronger Fallout title and would rather mod that game instead of Fallout 4.

Think you pretty much hit the nail on the head here. We've talked about it from time to time working on the Frontier, most of us think the same way about New Vegas and the same goes for other Fallout MA's I've spoken to.

Haven't even bothered to get a copy of FO4. I'll pick a copy up when it's dirt cheap on Steam one day, even then I'm tempted to buy more Dev tools instead to help me mod NV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wurm45



Posts : 266
Join date : 2014-03-15
Location : Stuttgart

Character sheet
Name: Jane
Faction: nearest comfy couch to sleep on
Level: zZZZzzz....

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:40 pm

@mindboggles wrote:
@Dewderson wrote:
There's a number of factors I'd be willing to bet on.

The voiced protag makes it unnecessarily difficult for people who like making quest mods or companion mods being that the VO workload is doubled if not tripled as they have to recycle PC voice lines for the player to choose from.

The Bethesda.net controversy with mod theft and mod piracy forcing some of the most talented modders to quit or postpone their work such as DogToothCG (Maker of NCR Ranger Armor) and LordOfWar, who's armor is still being reuploaded with people calling him selfish or other dumb things. "WAOW U NAWT LIEK PPL STEELIN UR WURK UR FUKN SELFISH LOW." Generally bringing the console community into the fold made the modding community way more toxic and encouraged modders to quit due to harassment as well, I'm sure there's still some modder rant videos on youtube.

There's also the fact that people still see New Vegas as a much stronger Fallout title and would rather mod that game instead of Fallout 4.

Think you pretty much hit the nail on the head here. We've talked about it from time to time working on the Frontier, most of us think the same way about New Vegas and the same goes for other Fallout MA's I've spoken to.

Haven't even bothered to get a copy of FO4. I'll pick a copy up when it's dirt cheap on Steam one day, even then I'm tempted to buy more Dev tools instead to help me mod NV.

The harassment which some modders face is a total asshole move. Even if it's just a minority of the console users who act like shit, it still not okay. And Bethesda is not even doing much against it, they didn't think the whole situation through and it will probably only get worse when Skyrim Remastered is released.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.flickr.com/photos/worminator/
tgspy



Posts : 307
Join date : 2015-06-20
Age : 17
Location : Victoria, Australia

Character sheet
Name: Intern John
Faction: Frontier NCR Regiment
Level: 5

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:50 am

There was just such an absolute crapfest with the whole bethesda.net controversy that many modders are getting turned off FO4. That may mean alot of good modders are just disappearing, and they may never come back. Which is bad. I'm resting all my hope on New Vegas and some of the bigger mod projects like the Frontier and San Francisco and Project Brazil.

_________________
Writer on the Fallout Intensive Project, which aims to bring the Fallout story to the UK.
Bug Tester, Interior Creator, Designer and Decorator on the Frontier Mod
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linkin79



Posts : 114
Join date : 2016-09-14
Location : Sunny Florida

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:27 am

The whole bethesda.net thing really blows.I watch some fallout mods weekly videos and see stuff like the Rebel and Scanvenged Ncr armor that arent around anymore.
And since i didnt have my PC back then i didnt get a chance to download them.Really sad,the actions of a few ruining it for the mojority of people out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OSOK



Posts : 274
Join date : 2016-08-14
Age : 47
Location : The Present

Character sheet
Name: Jack
Faction: none
Level: 56

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:22 pm

From my understanding...mainly garnered from this site...FO4 has potential...but interest is limited due to the limits/understanding of the game mechanics. Will it be the next skyrim...no...that's silly. However, in time, it may be the next FO3, barring any "major mod" I just don't see the interest AND stamina with ABILITY to make a "major mod" (major mod: defined as something so changing that it's like a new game) but that's ok...While there is still quite a bit of "wine" left in this game to wring out...I don't see us getting "a whole new bottle" sometimes...games just peak and then the community moves on...and aren't you glad? Otherwise we would all be playing pong with mods.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shadowvalor



Posts : 88
Join date : 2015-05-15
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:05 am

@Dreceratops wrote:
It's like Fallout 4 was hit by a perfect storm. First, we get hit by paid modding ~1 year ago and that widened any cracks that already existed in the modding scene. Then the amazing way Bethesda handled Xbone modding and all that mod stealing ruckus. And while I wasn't around for it, there was the farce that was the Nvidia modding contest. To top it all off, FO4 is a lot more divisive than previous titles and even if a modder wasn't deterred by all the mod-drama, they might just not like the base game enough. Or maybe I'm completely wrong. Who knows, I'm not a modder.

This was my thought on the whole issue. Opening mods up to restricted systems (XB1) made it so that people were unable to do anything to create the mods on said system, barring getting the open system (PC) themselves. I'm not saying that the idea is bad - it's actually great because people will start seeing this as something that can be done for future games (multiplayer shooters can benefit from community maps again), but I also see every single mod release get hammered with questions on if it will be on consoles, and when. If the author doesn't put it on the console, especially at the beginning of all this, someone else will without their permission.

From an author standpoint, it's difficult to take the mod you made and test it on a system you don't have. Aside from not really being able to test it, there are limits on file size, and I think some issues with textures. The whole thing is an unfriendly environment, and pushed a lot of very talented people away just like the paid mod thing did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boodaliboo



Posts : 432
Join date : 2015-07-23
Age : 21
Location : new vegas

PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:19 am

ugh its annoying how long it takes to extract the folders for ba2 for making retextures in the ck

_________________
i used to be a nuclear winter like you till i took a arrow to the knee
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The day the Mods stopped flowing   Today at 6:56 am

Back to top Go down
 

The day the Mods stopped flowing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

 Similar topics

-
» The day the Mods stopped flowing
» Silly mods.
» ISCC LMPC LeMans Engine mods
» Dragon Age Origins Mods
» Fallout New Vegas Mods

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gaming Underground Network :: Fallout :: Discussion-